Walls of Steel

Technical discussions relating to specific firearms.

Walls of Steel

Postby SirSqueeboo » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:30 pm

Logistically, it's too late for me to set up a trip for August. Are there any similar in RI in early/late fall?
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Re: Walls of Steel

Postby Thib » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:30 am

Funny you should ask... We are contemplating a Mini Walls of Steel in October (Fall Walls). Nothing is set in stone, but it is being discussed as a possibility. I will let you know as soon as it is confirmed either way.
Thib

Postby Thib » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:55 am

Maybe we could set up a RIFOL squad and run the stages together.
Thib

Postby jcat » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:34 pm

Thib wrote:Funny you should ask... We are contemplating a Mini Walls of Steel in October (Fall Walls). Nothing is set in stone, but it is being discussed as a possibility. I will let you know as soon as it is confirmed either way.

That'd be cool...I missed the last one and I really want to get out there and try this at least once. I haven't shot anything since probably march or april though. May need a midstate trip to reacquaint myself haha
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Postby n1bsbri » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:51 pm

jcat wrote:
Thib wrote:Funny you should ask... We are contemplating a Mini Walls of Steel in October (Fall Walls). Nothing is set in stone, but it is being discussed as a possibility. I will let you know as soon as it is confirmed either way.

That'd be cool...I missed the last one and I really want to get out there and try this at least once. I haven't shot anything since probably march or april though. May need a midstate trip to reacquaint myself haha

The bullets come out the open end. ;)
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Postby Thib » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:10 am

Ok, I shot in my first Walls of Steel Friday afternoon. Holy crap was it fun! So much so that I was going to shoot my stock gun in the open class just to go through again, but I didn't get a chance to reload before Sunday morning. Takes about 3hrs or so to get through all six stages depending on your group and the group in front of you. I think I used a bit south of 300 rounds.

So much fun I ordered a 9mm M&P 5" CORE to work into an open gun. (like I needed an excuse to buy a new gun :D )

Definitely going to be a 1 day Mini Walls (morning and afternoon session) in October. Dates will be announced soon.

If it at all interests you, I highly suggest trying it. There were all levels of shooters there. I RO'd the "slider stage" and I saw one guy drop all 30 plates in 14+ seconds and then someone in the same squad do 78 seconds.

Here is 5 of the 6 stages from a go-pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duP2mA6IO-k

Here is stage 6 from one of the fast guys...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhhdXmsLjRM
Thib

Postby jcat » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:23 am

that looks fun. Definitely want to try it soon.

Looks like the fast guy was shooting a 9mm STI race gun 1911 based jobby
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Postby SirSqueeboo » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:31 am

How many people were there? Also, what were the distances?
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Postby Thib » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:45 am

Looks like the fast guy was shooting a 9mm STI race gun 1911 based jobby

Actually, that was a 38 Super... I remember because I think it rattled a few fillings loose!

How many people were there? Also, what were the distances?

The 3 day event had almost 200 shooters, 280ish guns (some shooters shot stock, open, & revolver in different time slots)

Generally speaking, we saw squads of 8-13 people per stage at any given time.

The distance is exactly 30 feet from the closest target to you (the go-pro's make it look far away IMO)

Just to put it in perspective, that fast stage (stage 6) I did in 44.41. I think if it wasn't my 1st stage of the shoot, or I shot it again I could do it in the mid 30's. That guy was blazing at 14! I think the fastest was in the 12's with an open gun.
Thib

Return to Firearms