Do you have a single or two stage trigger in your AR-15?

Technical discussions relating to specific firearms.

Do you prefer a single or two stage trigger for your ar-15?

Single Stage
63%
Two Stage
38%

Total votes : 8

Do you have a single or two stage trigger in your AR-15?

Postby newportri » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:12 pm

I know I have talked about this before, but I was curious about what people on the forum use.

Is the trigger reset at the first or second stage on a two stage trigger, or will that depend on the model and manufacturer of the trigger?
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Re: Do you have a single or two stage trigger in your AR-15?

Postby demjones » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:04 pm

I have to caveat my response - I mostly do target shooting with some of my ARs, and prefer 2-stage triggers for them - either Geissele or Rock River.

I do have a carbine that I'm planning to use for more tactically oriented training. It's got a 2-stage RRA in it now (the CMMG LPK's original trigger sucked), but have an ALG single-stage that I'm planning to drop in. We'll see how that works out.
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits." - Plutarch
demjones

Postby newportri » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:52 pm

I agree that it would depend on how you use it. For long range accuracy it might be better with a two stage than a single stage. I rarely shoot my ar-15, but I like to do at least the USPSA rifle match in New Bedford. I'd like to shoot more and maybe do some 3 gun when/if I have time.
This looks like a nice trigger for that, but it is pretty expensive in my opinion..
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/198614/geissele-super-3-gun-trigger-ar-15-lr-308-small-pin-154-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby demjones » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:55 pm

It's hard to go wrong with Geissele. ALG (Bill Geissele's wife's initials are ALG) is a simpler Geissele trigger ($45-$60) but has proven to be really reliable. I'll let you know how I fare once I install the critter.
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits." - Plutarch
demjones

Postby SirSqueeboo » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:50 pm

demjones wrote:It's hard to go wrong with Geissele. ALG (Bill Geissele's wife's initials are ALG) is a simpler Geissele trigger ($45-$60) but has proven to be really reliable. I'll let you know how I fare once I install the critter.

You will love the ALG trigger. I bought the ACT and replaced the springs with a JP set. It's amazing for the price.

I currently have a Geissele SD-C in my 300blk SBR that's still in the works. I have another SD-C on the way for another planned SBR.

For my current go to AR I think I might put in a Geissele 3gun trigger. It's very fast, it's a 3.5 single stage, Bill calls it a hybrid trigger. David, this trigger is light enough that if your finger is quick enough people will think it's a M16.

And yes, the Geissele triggers are that good to spend ~$200 on.
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Postby SirSqueeboo » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:06 pm

Well look what came in the mail today:

NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Postby demjones » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:49 pm

photo.JPG

Test firing this weekend...I hope.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
demjones

Postby a1983 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:29 pm

I did the set-screw in my trigger - I guess I would call it a ... "zero stage" trigger?

Not in an unsafe manner, more along the lines that there is zero take up, zero creep, and a crisp light break (I stoned the sears).

Of course I managed to lose the photos I took of the process when I reset my phone... :(
a1983

Postby demjones » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:10 pm

Finally took my ACT-equipped carbine to the range. The single stage felt a little odd to me at first, but I really like it. It was crisp and consistent with virtually no overtravel. Once I put a few through the pipe, I tried some double-taps. Wow!

Using a Trijicon TA31 (red chevron) with NO sling at 100 yds, I managed to hold the black on an SR-1 with no problem. Once I got into a supported position (still no sling) I managed to hold the 10-ring, with a boatload of x's.

Although I've got lots of practicing to do, I'm already very confident of my abilities with this carbine. I mainly worked on the trigger and on shooting with both eyes open, which came quite easily.
demjones

Postby jcat » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:47 pm

I'm thinking the ACT is going to make it into my 300blk pistol at some point. Maybe the SDC, I dunno yet. I haven't reached that money in my spend planning yet :lol:
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Return to Firearms