What's the best (most reliable) ar-15 pistol barrel length?

Technical discussions relating to specific firearms.

Re: What's the best (most reliable) ar-15 pistol barrel leng

Postby jcat » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:31 pm

newportri wrote:Hmm, I didn't know Sig made one like that..
http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p556-pistol.aspx
It's pretty neat, but I don't like the handguard. It's strange I don't see it when I search for pistols on Sigs website (I would like to see if they have different models of it), but Google finds it.

It's actually under pistols and not rifles, that's why :)

The handguard is easily replaceable. The patrol model rifle handguards interchange. Quad rail, fish gill etc. My classic rifle has the longer quad rail.

I have heard a lot of quality issues with AR Stoner products. Out of spec BCGs, junk mags, I wouldnt trust their barrels. Last thing you want is an out of spec chamber or bad head space.
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Postby newportri » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:49 pm

I know it's a pistol, but if you go to their 556 pistols only the ones with a brace shows up, so they must have a buffer tube I assume. I know this can be removed on a 556, but I don't see the 556 I posted earlier listed under pistols.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby jcat » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:32 pm

newportri wrote:I know it's a pistol, but if you go to their 556 pistols only the ones with a brace shows up, so they must have a buffer tube I assume. I know this can be removed on a 556, but I don't see the 556 I posted earlier listed under pistols.

Oh yeah that is strange. Well, the extension just threads into the 'endplate' but it's closed off, so it is definitely removable.

I think they don't list the one without the brace because it's the same or similar MSRP to the one WITH the tube and the brace, which would probably cost you ~$200 to put together anyway.

You might look at Rainier Arms for the 5.56 pistol barrel, by the way. They're great barrels and very reasonably priced. My 300 pistol barrel is a Rainier Select Stainless.
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Postby newportri » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:29 pm

Rainier makes some cool stuff and I always wanted one of their uppers with a side charging handle. Does anyone here have any experience with those?
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby jcat » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:00 pm

newportri wrote:Rainier makes some cool stuff and I always wanted one of their uppers with a side charging handle. Does anyone here have any experience with those?

No first hand experience but they do get good reviews from those that have them.

My 300 pistol has a Rainier Raptor charging handle on it and I cannot imagine running an AR without one now.

My 556 has a side charging handle and I have been looking into an extended replacement for it as it's a little unwieldy with an optic on the rifle.
jcat

Previous

Return to Firearms