Guns you're still kicking yourself for not buying...

Technical discussions relating to specific firearms.

Guns you're still kicking yourself for not buying...

Postby a1983 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:27 pm

I'm sure we all have one. Mine recently came back into my mind, and I remembered how much I lusted after it:

The Finnish M28/76 match rifle.

And I wanted it in left-handed as well. (Yeah, I've seen one. ONCE.)

I saw one recently on gun-broker for around $1100, but the South Florida Bubba had stuck a POSP scope on it (complete with the standard AK mount)... a POSP SCOPE?!?!

I don't think I've ever had such a sad "beautiful gun ruined" moment as when I saw that photo. I actually had to look away, it was just such a horror show.

When I first learned of them (probably about 2 years ago at this point) they could be had for under $600 in some cases.

So who else has "the one that got away" stories?
a1983

Re: Guns you're still kicking yourself for not buying...

Postby jcat » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:51 pm

I had a chance to buy a LNIB Beretta 92G Elite 2, with 10 magazines included for $850 a year ago or so. I passed because at the time I was looking at buying a house and didn't want to spend the money.

There have been 3 similar guns in not-as-nice condition as that one that have sold on BerettaForum with only 2 mags included for $1300+. Each additional mag is worth about $30 or so. I could have doubled my money in a year.

I'm redeeming myself on one, however. If you look in the 'want to buy' section on this site, you'll see a real old ad from me looking for a .40 cal P226. I never ended up buying one, had a chance to get a 9mm 226 but passed to buy a 228 instead (which I still regret selling to this day), but just recently put a 2005 German P226 in .40 on layaway at Heritage. Already bought a .357 sig upper for it and will eventually get a 9mm conversion barrel to complete the trifecta. May even convert it to DAK if I get a wild hair, we'll see.

If we can include non-gun stuff, I wish I would have gotten into reloading sooner. The 226 is my last gun purchase for a while as I'll be putting my money toward reloading equipment for a while, particularly as a winter hobby.
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Postby Blast54 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:54 pm

Wildley 475 mag
Blast54

Postby don3 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:27 pm

A 6" Colt diamond Back in 22. Had the money just didn't make up my mind fast enought. I have a 4" in 38.
don3

Postby newportri » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:22 pm

Blast54 wrote:Wildley 475 mag

Wow, there actually are guns out there you haven't owned??
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby demjones » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:14 pm

newportri wrote:
Blast54 wrote:Wildley 475 mag

Wow, there actually are guns out there you haven't owned??

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My personal regret was a scoped, ported Guide Gun in pristine condition available at Heritage for $380. It was even calling my name. :(
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits." - Plutarch
demjones

Postby SirSqueeboo » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:59 pm

Back in '06 a friend offered me a WASR 10 and CETME for $350 total. Instead, I chose to fill my apartment with kegs and girls from RIC and PC.

Well it's really not a regret, but it was one hell of a deal.
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Postby x45 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:17 pm

I looked at two D.D. AR's very nice and felt good in my hands but I had to wait about a month until I had the cash; when I went back I missed the last one that sold just the week before. Where I live in mass it is a constant hit or miss and the selections are far a few between with long dry periods.
“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples’ liberty’s teeth.” – George Washington
x45

Postby TheDuke » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:07 pm

Everything the CMP used to sell but no longer does because they're all gone...surplus P17's, '03's , M1 carbines, Krags...

They all sell anywhere from $1000 on up when you can find them. At the Springfield show this past weekend guys were selling H&R Garands for $1600 (which CMP still sells for $595), and I saw a National Postal Meter M1 carbine that looked like it was dragged behind a truck that they wanted $1300 for
TheDuke

Postby demjones » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:53 pm

TheDuke wrote:Everything the CMP used to sell but no longer does because they're all gone...surplus P17's, '03's , M1 carbines, Krags...

So true!

CMP had/has some of the best deals around. I managed to score a Garand, a 1917, an 03A3 and a Kimber 82. The 03A3 was brand spanking new (1942 vintage), as was the Kimber. I refrained from the carbines because I already had an Inland, and missed out on the Krags.

Buying at the North or South store was best, as you could talk with the armorers before you made your choice. I told one armorer that I wanted a Garand that was an excellent shooter. He led me to a Greek return Field Grade that looked like it'd been used to pound tent pegs. The barrel measured 1.5 muzzle/2 throat. Ugly as it was, it's a tack driver and is beautiful again in a new stock.
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits." - Plutarch
demjones

Return to Firearms