Back into the fray....another AR build.

Technical discussions relating to specific firearms.

Re: Back into the fray....another AR build.

Postby newportri » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:01 pm

I am right handed, but I still like anything ambi since you never know if one hand/arm will be immobilized should things go real bad. I like the VLTOR, but I might give the Raptor a try on the next build.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby jcat » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:45 pm

I didn't initially think I needed an ambi selector, but I ended up picking one up anyway. Heritage had Noveske 60 degree ambi selectors for $43 so I couldn't say no.

The Noveske shortens the safety lever throw from 90 degrees to 60, making it easier to get the required leverage particularly when going from fire --> safe. Instead of having only the perpendicular tip of the selector lever for real estate when engaging the safety, you get a lot more of the lever and a much more mechanically advantageous angle. Having the ambi lever in concert with the 60 degree selector *should* make it possible to run the safety with my trigger finger, also.
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Postby jcat » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:01 pm

Frustratingly, I lost the Mag Catch spring. Oh well. Got the grip, pivot pin, bolt catch and selector installed on Saturday, so now I'll just have to throw in the trigger, buffer retainer, buffer kit, and takedown pin and slap the upper on it.

Upper, buffer kit, charging handle and trigger all got delivered today, 2 days early on the trigger and buffer kit. But I have to be at the FD tonight, so maybe I'll slap it together somewhat when I get back from that, or tomorrow.

The only thing I'll be waiting on now is a damn mag catch spring, and it'll be ready to go. I'm hoping to get it to the range maybe Saturday or Sunday next weekend and get some rounds through it.
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Postby jcat » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:42 pm

Everything got delivered today ahead of schedule!

Well shit.

Good news: Upper, CH, buffer kit, and trigger came in. Upper is SUPER nice, very light, and they threw in a bunch of free stickers, a hat, and a free key mod rail section.

Raptor charging handle of course is awesome. Not much to say there.

BCM buffer it is great quality, very nice tight fit on the MFT minimalist stock.

ALG ACT trigger is soooooooo nice. Super sweet break, firm audible and tactile reset, and smooth as glass.

Now the bad news.

The takedown pin detent spring seems to be out of spec, either that or my lower is. The spring is too large in diameter to fit into the hole. The detent is perfectly sized, so it must be the spring. Luckily I have a little baggy of a few extras from my last build. Thank god, because had I not had those springs it would have held up the entire rest of the build since I wouldn't be able to put the pivot pin, which meant I wouldn't be able to put the buffer kit and retainer in, etc.

So, I threw the spare spring in with the detent, got the stock on and she's 95% there.

The only thing I have left to buy is my BUIS. Other than that, I need to button up the mag catch (lost the mag catch spring), and it'll be a fully functional rifle hopefully tomorrow.

Teaser pic (threw my light on the key mod rail section at 9 o clock):

jcat

Postby newportri » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:46 am

I will have to try that stock on my ultralight build when I get to it.
newportri

Postby jcat » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:40 am

newportri wrote:I will have to try that stock on my ultralight build when I get to it.

This upper was not the lightweight profile barrel, but given how light everything else is, I almost wish I had gone with the lightweight profile. It's pretty crazy how light this thing is even being a 16" mid. I can almost use a one handed pistol grip and still support it enough to be able to fire it that way, it's awesome.
jcat

Postby SirSqueeboo » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:41 am

How do you like the light? I've heard mixed reviews about it.
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Postby jcat » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:33 pm

SirSqueeboo wrote:How do you like the light? I've heard mixed reviews about it.

It's the newer, 500 lumen WMLx model. Honestly I love it, it's not terribly heavy for it's size but definitely solidly built. Has two lockouts, twist the bezel and also the little stirrup that comes up over the button. Throw switch on the underside selects between momentary or constant/strobe. Super bright, and the strobe pattern is different than a normal constant strobe, the pulses aren't evenly spaced or the same duration. It definitely is above the pain threshold just in brightness, never mind how well the strobe disorients.
jcat

Postby newportri » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:17 pm

What light is it?
newportri

Postby demjones » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:03 pm

Dave, it's made by InForce, a RI company. (http://www.inforce-mil.com/) I have their APL on my HD pistol.

I checked out the WMLx at Proline last Saturday, and was very impressed. I'm saving up to put one on my piston carbine.
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits." - Plutarch
demjones

PreviousNext

Return to Firearms