Scope magnification and quality.

Technical discussions relating to specific firearms.

Scope magnification and quality.

Postby newportri » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:11 pm

This is a question for those with some experience with high power magnification scopes. Typically you lose some quality with large magnification and I would rather have a brand with clear glass than one with a large magnification. However, if you look at the same line of scope there is typically different levels of magnification such as:
3-9x
4-14x
6-20x

Would you see a difference in the quality at the max settings of the different models (same brand) at the max magnification? How about if you set them all to 9x, would you be able to see a difference or is it mostly theoretic that you lose image quality? Does anyone have experience with trying different scopes with different magnification from the same manufacturer and model?
The price difference is usually not that big, but it is not worth it (to me) to pay more if the quality is less even though the magnification is larger.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Re: Scope magnification and quality.

Postby Blast54 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:11 pm

IMG_0975x.jpg
I got into 300yd egg shoots for a while. Savage sponsors them and my friend Roy Bertalotto runs them at Dartmouth, Woodcock. If you don't need variable, I would highly reccomend the T-36 or any of the T series from Weaver. They can be found for $400 or less and are a favorite amongst benchrest guys. When you go variable you are spending more on the mechanism than you are the optics. I think to answer you question that if you took a couple variable scopes from the same manufacturer but different models, they the more expensive model would be better at the higher end of the magnification but I don't think you would see much difference if they were both set to 9x say. I have the T-36 mounted on a Savage Model 12 (Accutrigger in .223) You would be welcome to try it out to see if it is what you are looking for.

I was thinking, I also have an AR-10 with a 3-9x Leupold Mark AR scope you could try. Don't know if that helps you or not.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blast54

Re: Scope magnification and quality.

Postby newportri » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:35 pm

I would definitely want zoom since I will be putting it most likely on an ar-15 and shoot different distances. I actually tried your ar-10 last December, and I really liked the scope (and the rifle). The only thing that was holding me back was that I wanted a mildot or similar (TMR etc.) and the description says the adjustments were in MOA. I've seen a couple of vids as well as pics, and the adjustments are definitely 0.1 mil, so that's good. I just wish it was a FFP scope though.
At Grafs the scopes are listed as:
3-9x mildot: $267.99
3-9x firedot TMR: $348.99
4-12 mildot: $385.99
6-18x mildot: $422.99
I think the 4-12 would be good for me, but I would also prefer the TMR over the mildot. I don't know how useful the firedot is, but I wouldn't get it for that anyway. I would have paid more for a fully illuminated reticle though. I am thinking that if I get the 4-12x, it is not that much more for the 6-18x, but I am not sure if I lose any clarity in the scope..
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Return to Firearms