Sig P938

Technical discussions relating to specific firearms.

Re: Sig P938

Postby RImike » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:13 pm

jcat wrote:another tip to make sure it runs reliable, if the mags are brand new, load them up to full capacity and let them sit that way for a week or two.

They can suffer from some of the same teething issues as 1911s but I would imagine you don't have to worry about that. I'd recommend running a light grease on the rails as opposed to oil, and just a whisper of CLP on the feed ramp, at least at first.

It actually came greased up, not oiled.
RImike

Postby RImike » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:47 pm

Range Report:
Took the firearm out today, shot 200 rounds and never once had a malfunction. Quite accurate firearm as well, in low light conditions, the sig night sights really impressed me. Over all, this is a great firearm. The only thing I have to say is the magazine spring has a surprisingly high tension poundage, my hands got quite sore loading the rounds, especially once I got above the 150 round mark. I am going to invest in a mag loader.
RImike

Postby jcat » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:15 pm

Are they SigLite sights? Those are, IMO, the best factory night sights out there. I've had them on a SP2022 and a P226, they're really really good.

I plan on switching both my FN's to Trijicon HDs though.
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Postby RImike » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:02 pm

jcat wrote:Are they SigLite sights? Those are, IMO, the best factory night sights out there. I've had them on a SP2022 and a P226, they're really really good.

I plan on switching both my FN's to Trijicon HDs though.

Yes, it has the SigLite sight. Really impressed me how quickly they "charged" and stayed illuminated.
RImike

Postby RImike » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:52 pm

Update about the firearm, shot another 250 rounds through it, so now I am up to 500 rounds. Here are some things I have noticed:

Trigger: Out of the box, even though it looks like a 1911 and feels like a mini 1911, it had a trigger which reminds me of a DAO, 9 pounds trigger and quite a bit of travel as a revolver I have.

This is due to the following which I noticed/happened during break in:
-Trigger travel: since it is a rotating trigger, unlike the 1911's sliding trigger, it has to pivot, different finger placement results in different pull lengths.
-Frame finish: The nitron finish isn't the smoothest, but after 500 rounds, the critical areas have smoothed themselves out.
-Ejector: The ejector doubles as the dis-connector as well. When you squeezed the trigger, it rotates forward, which allows the firing pin blocker to drop. Unlike the 1911's grip safety accomplishing this, the trigger does double duty which is why the trigger pull is so long.
-sear/hammer hook: Initially, I broke it all down to inspect it and noticed how rough the hammer hook/sear face were while looking under a 4X magnifying glass. The result in the first 50 or so shots fired resulted in a trigger that had a high pull, and felt very gritty. After those shots, I cleaned everything and dry fired another 100-200 times, if not more (did this while watching TV, so lost count). Went to the range and shot another 200 rounds and noticed an improvement. Cleaned, shot another 250 rounds, and completely dissembled it. The critical friction areas are now shiny which results in friction. While the trigger still has the same pull length, it has smoothed out quite noticeably and speculate that the weight is now lower, probably around 7-6 lbs. Upon viewing the hammer hooks and sear though a 4X magnifying glass again, the mating surfaces are now smooth with a shiny surface.

Accuracy both out of the box and so far is quite impressive considering the size and weight of the pistol and my skill level, If someone is in the market or has one of these, I strongly suggest you spend some time with snap caps ahead of time to help break the firearm in.
RImike

Previous

Return to Firearms