What to buy optic?

Technical discussions relating to specific firearms.

What to buy optic?

Postby Blast54 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:45 am

Ok.. I know there are AR fans here. I am don't know that much about then nor do I really care to. BUT I am in need of some type of optic to go along with my IBUS on a M&P 15 (.223).
Here is one that is recommended : https://www.primaryarms.com/ProductDeta ... ode=MD-ADS. I am looking to take a couple of carbine classes and would like buy something for under $200. I don't even want to think about the ACOG and EOTEC and all the great expensive stuff because I don't shoot this that much. I also don't want to buy something that is Chinese fuzzy junk.
Do I need risers and all that. My iron sights are MI sights. Do you usually mount optic on a riser to see over the IBUS?

Fire away
Thanks
Bill
Blast54

Re: What to buy optic?

Postby demjones » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:43 am

Good question. I'm not as wise on this as many others, but I've found a good solution for me.

I've got a Vortex Strikefire 2 red dot ($179 at Amazon) and Diamondhead BUIS set up for absolute cowitness. My Strikefire came with a high cantilever riser, which provided lower third cowitness. For not a whole lot of $$ I got a lower rise mount. Not being terribly smart on this I went through some trial and error, but without breaking the bank. My little carbine shoots great!

Good luck - and let us know what you choose!
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits." - Plutarch
demjones

Postby newportri » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:15 am

I believe you are a NRA instructor so you can get some good discounts from EOTech, starting at $231.
http://firearms.fortreg.com/?page_id=2919
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby jdp29 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:39 am

Blast, that would be a great optic for you. I have the lower priced PA micro dot's and it is a good optic for the money. That sight will C0-witness with your irons and you do not need a riser. If the optic ever went down, you would just flip up your sights and use them right thru your red dot. The bushnell TRS-25 is another optic that you could look into. You can probably grab them on Amazon right now for $70'ish.
jdp29

Postby RImike » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:06 pm

You have to establish what you want first. Do you want a red dot or a reflex sight/holographic sight? For close range shooting (25 yards), I like reflex sights. For long range (75-100) I prefer red dot sights. I feel the reflex sights offer a broader field of view/less distraction around the sight picture. To each their own, I have a sight mark on my AR you can try It.
RImike

Postby SirSqueeboo » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:38 pm

The PA sights are really nice, and they are the best you can get in that price range. I was very skeptical of the microdots because of the small FOV, but they're really fast. Go with a 2 MOA dot over the 4.

I would buy a riser, I found it to be more comfortable than sitting flat on the rail.
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Postby Blast54 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:53 pm

Thanks everyone, went with the PA 2MOA dot and absolute witness riser.
Let you know how I make out.

THanks
Bill
Blast54

Postby a1983 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:55 pm

Blast, you made an excellent choice. I have that same setup from them (cant remember if its a 2 or 4 MOA dot) and I love it. I think you'll be very suprised at the quality of the PA units.
a1983

Return to Firearms