AR Build

Technical discussions relating to specific firearms.

AR Build

Postby MM2(SS) » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:23 pm

Ok everyone I have decided it is time to build an AR since there are people out there that believe we shouldn't have them. I am completely out of my element when it comes to rifles let alone AR's. Any help anyone can give on best places to get parts & putting it together would be greatly appreciated.
An armed society is a polite society!
MM2(SS)

Re: AR Build

Postby RImike » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:40 pm

It all comes down to how much do you want to spend. YouTube is full of build videos, for the most part everything is on the internet. If you want to do it on the cheap, I saw an email from D&L's last week that advertised Anderson lowers for $45 each. PSA lower parts kit with Magpul goodies typically runs around $150. You can get a barreled upper for about $300 and a BCG for another $100. Of course, there are cheaper and more expensive alternatives.
RImike

Postby SirSqueeboo » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:14 am

What's your budget and what is the primary purpose? (Plinker, Competition, Defense)
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Postby MM2(SS) » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:07 am

The budget is relatively flexible, I'll probably spread out the parts over a few months. It will be used for plinking, and defense from the zombies to start, possibly competition down the road sometime.
MM2(SS)

Postby RImike » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:10 pm

MM2(SS) wrote:The budget is relatively flexible, I'll probably spread out the parts over a few months. It will be used for plinking, and defense from the zombies to start, possibly competition down the road sometime.

I know you don't want to hear this, but the Black Friday/Cyber Monday has crazy stupid promotions. If I had some more money, I would have gone with BCM. They were selling complete uppers with BCG for around $500.
RImike

Postby MM2(SS) » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:42 pm

Where are some of the better places to get parts/special tools. I know of Midway, Cheaper Than Dirt (not really), Palmetto State Armory, Primary Arms.com.
MM2(SS)

Postby Thib » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:56 pm

I got most of my build tools from Midway. Actually, if you browse the "how to" videos on Midway, there is a real good one that lays out the tools you may need and the lower assembly build procedure.
Thib

Postby RImike » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:02 pm

If you have a C&R, fax it into Brownells. They will give you a discount. Midway used to do this, until everyone and their brother got one.
RImike

Postby SirSqueeboo » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:18 pm

RImike wrote:If you have a C&R, fax it into Brownells. They will give you a discount. Midway used to do this, until everyone and their brother got one.

This right here has saved me literally thousands over the years.

Also, Father's Day and 4th of July usually have great sales. If you have the patience, you can save a lot of money on your build. Also, entertain the idea of used parts. There are savings to be made when people buy parts and don't like the fit. With restocking fees it's a lot easier to just sell it used.

I built a fairly decent AR for under $500 right here: http://rifol.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1971&start=0.
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Postby MM2(SS) » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:22 pm

Finally got off my ass the other day & picked up a stripped Anderson lower, now just have to finish deciding on what parts to get for it.
MM2(SS)

Next

Return to Firearms