M&P15-22 or Ruger for kid

Technical discussions relating to specific firearms.

M&P15-22 or Ruger for kid

Postby newportri » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:05 pm

OK, so sooner or later I will have to get my kids their first guns, so I was wondering what people think of a good first gun for a kid that he/she can also grow into. I know there are some of these 'youth' guns that are really tiny, but I am not a big fan of them since once they are grown out of them they won't use them again. Their sights also typically sucks. I have been thinking about ether a 10/22 or an m&p15-22. I don't have a 10/22 so it wouldn't hurt to get one in my house. However, I think that with an m&p15-22 it might be better since they come with a collapsible stock, which is handy for young shooters. Are there collapsable stocks for the 10/22? I know there are some gun grabbers that will have a heart attack if they hear I am thinking about buying an "Assault Weapon" as a first gun to a child, but I am not too concerned about their opinion..
Thoughts and opinions?
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Re: M&P15-22 or Ruger for kid

Postby RImike » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:38 pm

I built my 5.5 month old an AR for him to use when he is responsible enough. Talk about forward thinking there huh. How about a lever action .22 or a bolt action? I have seen them for less than $300.

I know the 10/22 compact that had a different stock fittings and is designed for youth: http://www.gunsandammo.com/video/ruger-compact-rifle/ the only issue there is you really limit yourself in application. Why not just get an AR and run a .22LR BCG? I did that and forgot how much fun .22 is.The only issue I foresee is the fore-end weight.
RImike

Postby n1bsbri » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:12 pm

Well, I love my 10/22, and they do make youth sized models. Also, there are tactical stocks available with length adjustments. http://www.atigunstocks.com/rifles/ruger/ruger-1022

But by the time you buy the gun and the replacement stock, you would have exceeded the price of the m&p 22.
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Postby newportri » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:38 am

Thanks for some good suggestions.

I like some of the lever action .22lr, especially Henry rifles. The 'problem' is that they are pretty expensive in my opinion, at least for a first rifle. They also don't have adjustable stocks.

It's a good idea to build an ar-15 and get a conversion kit (I already have it), but the weight of the rifle will be a little higher than one made as a .22. The conversion kits can also be a little more picky on ammo than a rifle made for .22lr. The nice thing about a ar-15 (not a .22) is that I could get a laser to train with and get one of those reactive cans that flip over when you hit it with a laser so we could shoot it at home as well. I already have a DD lightweight barrel and if I get a polymer receiver I could make a pretty light weight ar-15..

The Ruger compact is a nice rifle, but the length of pull is only 1" less than the standard 10/22. The adjustable stock on a m&p15-22 is 3" so I think that will make the length of pull shorter.
newportri

Postby RImike » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:23 pm

newportri wrote:Thanks for some good suggestions.

I like some of the lever action .22lr, especially Henry rifles. The 'problem' is that they are pretty expensive in my opinion, at least for a first rifle. They also don't have adjustable stocks.

It's a good idea to build an ar-15 and get a conversion kit (I already have it), but the weight of the rifle will be a little higher than one made as a .22. The conversion kits can also be a little more picky on ammo than a rifle made for .22lr. The nice thing about a ar-15 (not a .22) is that I could get a laser to train with and get one of those reactive cans that flip over when you hit it with a laser so we could shoot it at home as well. I already have a DD lightweight barrel and if I get a polymer receiver I could make a pretty light weight ar-15..

The Ruger compact is a nice rifle, but the length of pull is only 1" less than the standard 10/22. The adjustable stock on a m&p15-22 is 3" so I think that will make the length of pull shorter.

Surprisingly (knocks on wood) my .22lr conversion BCG runs quite a wide assortment of ammo. It's quite accurate at 25 yards and the only issue's I have are that they a few duds, but the primer has been punched properly and it's the ammo (some of it might be older than I am). It's all lead ammo, and fouling isn't as bad as expected. I ran about 200 rounds through it a few weekends ago, then followed up by (10) 5.56 rounds and the only real carbon build up was on the charging handle. I have even shot sub sonic through it and I can't believe it cycled :shock:
RImike

Postby demjones » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:07 pm

Both sound like good options, but I have to play Devil's Advocate here: why stop at one? Over the course of time hopefully you'll be able to help your kids with the nucleus of a solid collection.

That said, there still has to be a first. My vote is for a lightweight AR and .22 BCG. That'll afford lots of flexibility. A 10/22 can come later, or perhaps a nice bolt-action might be nice. I was going to recommend the CZ455, but IIRC you've already got one.

It's a nice conundrum, isn't it?
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits." - Plutarch
demjones

Postby jcat » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:35 pm

I think a lever or a bolt 22 for the first gun. Takes a lot of moving parts out of the equation and when shooting forces them to focus on one shot at a time. Less going on to distract them. A well-worn old bolt 22 is great for this IMO, since you can usually get them cheap and it affords you the ability to teach them proper use of a scope.
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Postby n1bsbri » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:39 pm

The only thing I'll add to this AR-15 with .22LR bolt is the barrel twist, and its effect on accuracy. I have a CMMG conversion bolt for my 1X9 AR-15, and it's no where near as accurate as my 10/22. The 10/22 has a 1X16 twist rate. I consider the conversion bolt to be a neat toy to waste some lead downrange.

That's where the M&P 15-22 or the 10/22 would work a lot better, in my humble opinion. It's not much fun missing the target.
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Postby newportri » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:05 pm

I don't know what conversion kit I have, but I have only used it once and I don't think I had any issues with it. I remember talking to one guy at the range one time and he had a lot of issues with his kit, but that was quite a few years ago so maybe they are better now. I bought it mostly as a training aid for USPSA Rifle since it is a lot cheaper than .223 and I wasn't so concerned about accuracy since I would be working more on transitions between targets.
I am sure I will have to get myself a 10/22 at some point, so maybe I'll go the AR route. She is not 3 years old yet so I think I still have some time. I will just have to take her out of daycare for 1-2 weeks and use the money to buy her a gun :-) YEPP, that's how expensive daycare is these days :-(
newportri

Postby demjones » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:10 pm

You can often find 10/22s available around the $180-220 +/- price point. You simply can't go wrong owning one. IIRC, there's a nice Instructor discount and places like CDNN have frequent sales.
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits." - Plutarch
demjones

Next

Return to Firearms