Open gun project

Technical discussions relating to specific firearms.

Open gun project

Postby Thib » Mon May 04, 2015 1:03 am

core1.jpg
As some of you know, I shoot steel matches at Wallum often... I figured I'd work up an open gun on a platform I'm comfortable with, and here is the results so far:

M&P Pro Series Core 9mm

APEX M&P ALUMINUM FORWARD SET SEAR AND TRIGGER KIT
Tungsten Non Captured Guide ROD (w/ 11/13/15 springs)
Springer Precision Slide Racker
EOTECH MRDS Mini red dot sight
Speed Ledge
M&P Catalyst Ext. Mag release
Storm Lake 2 port barrel

The 2 port Storm Lake is ok... but I think I may switch to a 3 port Carver Custom Comp w/ a KKM barrel. There is still a bit of jump with just the ports. I will also add a mag well and mag extensions when funds allow. It's pretty fun to shoot, but the dot jumping around takes some getting use to. Will most likely drift off the rear sight as well, the controls for the Eotech are on the rear, kind of a pain in the butt with the sight in the way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thib

Re: Open gun project

Postby newportri » Mon May 04, 2015 2:54 am

Looks like fun to shoot.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby Wfd107 » Mon May 04, 2015 1:59 pm

Looking good
Wfd107

Postby RImike » Mon May 04, 2015 3:41 pm

What's a "speed ledge" and what does it do? It sounds fast, or the name of an 80's grunge band.
RImike

Postby newportri » Mon May 04, 2015 4:23 pm

If you are getting a new barrel and comp I would recommend 5-7 ports since this is what's typically used on open guns. S&W custom shop might have something since Jerry M. use one in 3 gun open division.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby Thib » Mon May 04, 2015 5:42 pm

The speed ledge is that black thumb rest that attaches to the front rail. The concept is that the pressure transfered forward helps reduce muzzle climb. I haven't shot it enough with or without it to form an opinion yet.

As far as the comp Newport, most of the guys that use 4 and 5 port comps shoot major power factor. I'm not restricted to chrono testing nor do I want hover anywhere near the max load just to get the gun to cycle. But if I wanted to in the future, the comp just screws onto the end of the threaded barrel, so I could just buy that part.

I understand comps generally perform better when used with an increased load, but I'm not quite ready to start riding that max load line when reloading...
Thib

Postby Thib » Mon May 04, 2015 5:51 pm

http://youtu.be/zhhdXmsLjRM

When shooting steel like Walls of Steel, keeping the gun as flat as possible makes transition fast. Funny part about this guy shooting is that the gun was a stock class 38 Super, Al is just good! (The spent cases were launching 15 feet) In my case, I need all the help I can get! Hence the comp... :(
Thib

Return to Firearms