Thoughts on the XDS 3.3" 45ACP?

Technical discussions relating to specific firearms.

Re: Thoughts on the XDS 3.3" 45ACP?

Postby Uncle Duke » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:02 am

I highly recommend the XDS in .45 ACP. I have a 3.3" model (post-recall). I like the fiber optic pipe sights, which seem much more visible than traditional white dot sights. The recoil on the 3.3" is about the same as the 4", although a little more easily concealed. I got the first generation version of this and don't see any advantage to the "improved" grips; in fact, I think that if you're going to be carrying this as a concealed handgun, the new grips will catch on your clothing, particularly if this is a pocket gun, worn inside clothing, or in a IWB holster. You can pick up a used XDS at a good price, although make certain that it is post recall. If you're not certain, call Springfield Armory and they can tell you if it was one that was recalled or if it needs to go back to be serviced.
Certified NRA Range Safety Officer, Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, and Personal Protection Instructor. Certified MA Basic Pistol/LEOSA, MD, and UT Concealed Handgun Instructor
Uncle Duke

Postby shovel1966 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:56 am

Thanks for the great advice, Uncle Duke. I had already picked up a brand new one just after the 4th of July weekend and love it. I haven't seen a first gen model to compare it to, but the grips are pretty aggressive on mine. Nothing I would complain about unless I were to shoot a couple hundred rounds of hot ammo through it quickly. The first range trip I shot 140 rounds of all different weights and profiles and I could feel it in the palms of my hands. Oh well, I can live with that because everything else is flawless.
shovel1966

Postby Uncle Duke » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:47 pm

What round are you carrying? I have both the Hornaday Critical Carry and Critical Defense.

Did you take advantage of the three magazine special that Springfield was offering? If not, it's not too late. You can either go to your local S.A. dealer or go to their website.

Uncle Duke
Certified NRA Range Safety Officer, Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, and Personal Protection Instructor. Certified MA Basic Pistol/LEOSA, MD, and UT Concealed Handgun Instructor
Uncle Duke

Postby MM2(SS) » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:00 am

The post recall XDS has a roll pin in the grip safety.

An armed society is a polite society!
MM2(SS)

Postby shovel1966 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:09 am

Uncle Duke wrote:What round are you carrying? I have both the Hornaday Critical Carry and Critical Defense.

Did you take advantage of the three magazine special that Springfield was offering? If not, it's not too late. You can either go to your local S.A. dealer or go to their website.

Uncle Duke

Right now carrying Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel in 230gr because they run well in my gun. I've tried several different target loads, but not too many different types of defensive loads yet.

And yes, I submitted the promotion with SA for the three extra mags and double mag pouch online. The next day I received an e-mail stating that I have been approved and it will be several weeks before I receive the items. 4 days later they arrived on my front porch. I couldn't believe how quickly they came. I especially liked the small plastic case they came in.
shovel1966

Previous

Return to Firearms