? About Rem 700 in 300 WinMag

Technical discussions relating to specific firearms.

? About Rem 700 in 300 WinMag

Postby SirSqueeboo » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 am

It's got a 26" bbl with a taper that looks very thin at the muzzle. Will it be rigid enough to support a 20oz suppressor? I know Tikki and Savage had better offerings, but there's a Rem only stock that I'm in love with.
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Re: ? About Rem 700 in 300 WinMag

Postby cookiecutter » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:24 pm

The 30 cal cans typically need a 5/8-24 thread to mount to ... in addition to the 0.625" diameter that you need for the threads, you also want a little bit of a shoulder to act as a datum (to align the axis of the can to the axis of the bore), so I suspect that you are looking at a minimum of probably 0.700" for the diameter at the muzzle. As long as the threads can be cut for the adapter with a little bit of a registration surface, you can mount it. The barrel being thin means that the resonant frequency of the barrel will be more sensitive to the addition of a mass at the end ... the POI will almost certainly shift, and it could easily like different loads with and without the can installed ... but that can happen with a bull barrel.

In theory, adding a can to a thin barrel should lower the resonant frequency, so the gun should actually tolerate a wider range of loads at the velocities where it is most accurate. Should is really for physicists, and I'm an engineer, so I'll add: "YMMV" ...

CC
cookiecutter

Postby newportri » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:36 am

R700 in 300WM sounds like fun! I have a R700 in 308, but I would like to get one in 300wm some day.
Who made your barrel and how thick is it at the muzzle?
What stock do you like? I would like to get one of those XM2010 stocks (if they ever become available), but I bet they are expensive. I heard they will be close to $2k, but this is a while ago and I stopped looking..
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby SirSqueeboo » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:30 pm

newportri wrote:R700 in 300WM sounds like fun! I have a R700 in 308, but I would like to get one in 300wm some day.
Who made your barrel and how thick is it at the muzzle?
What stock do you like? I would like to get one of those XM2010 stocks (if they ever become available), but I bet they are expensive. I heard they will be close to $2k, but this is a while ago and I stopped looking..

It's still in the planning stages, so nothing bought yet. The Magpul Hunter stock with detachable mags piqued my interest. The stock is right around $250 and is completely adjustable.

https://www.magpul.com/products/hunter-700-stock-remington-700-short-action
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Postby newportri » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:41 am

That looks like a nice stock and I would have bought it for mine had it been available, but I ended up getting a Bell Carlson A5.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Return to Firearms