More fun with reduced rifle loads

Use this area to discuss topics relating to hand loading or reloading ammunition.

More fun with reduced rifle loads

Postby CTSixshot » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:14 pm

Granted, I don't have very modern equipment nor do I shoot very well, but there's little excuse not to run the old rifles when you can load some economy bullets over a relatively small pistol powder charge.
If you have anything chambered in 7.62x51/63, 7.5 Swiss, even .303 British or 7.62x54R, bring it down and have a go (these are .308" diameter bullets, mind you)...

CTSixshot

Re: More fun with reduced rifle loads

Postby Cyril » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:59 pm

What are some of the reduced loads you're using?

I loaded some ~10gr Unique (actually a variety of charges for testing) .308win 180gr Lee cast/powdercoated last fall but haven't gotten a chance to test them yet...I've seen it in reloading manuals and on various reloading discussions/articles, such as this thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... Rifle-Load
Cyril

Re: More fun with reduced rifle loads

Postby CTSixshot » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:45 pm

Well, it varies. I've loaded the 6.5 Swede with much less than 10 grains of pistol powder and have plenty of accuracy (don't even bother wasting gas checks). Granted, I may be lobbing some loads to the target, but they outshoot me.
There's "The Load", 13g of Red Dot, plus many book loads, e.g. Lyman manuals, etc.
A pound of powder sure goes a long way at 7.0g per charge.

CTSixshot

Return to Reloading