bullets for reloading

Use this area to discuss topics relating to hand loading or reloading ammunition.

bullets for reloading

Postby DinoT » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:33 pm

Has anybody seen any .22 FMJ 55gr. anywhere?
Midway hasn't had any budget (Rem, Win, Midway) bullets in a long time. :(
Secretary, Wincheck Gun Club, West Greenwich, RI

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
-Edmunde Burke (1770)
DinoT

Re: bullets for reloading

Postby Thib » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:11 am

Been an absolute wasteland for a couple months, I've been watching... can't even get the dies I want for 223 or 30-06, nevermind the bullets! Glad I set myself up for 9 & 45 before this mess...
Thib

Postby jdp29 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:37 am

it's really dry out there. I loaded up on the last scare, glad i did. Powder is even hard to come by right now.
jdp29

Postby bluzjamer » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:42 pm

Ok I can understand the loaded rounds shortage and the 22 LR shortage but reloading components?
What is everyones take on this. Can find cases but they are high. Don't think reloading will save any money
unless you already have cases.
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
2nd Amedment Foundation Member
NRA-ILA
National Association for Gun Rights
CRAL member
GOA member
RI 2nd Amendment Coalition supporter
RIFOL mem & supporter
bluzjamer

Postby Blast54 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:48 pm

I can't understand the 22 scenario. My son went looking on Friday...nothing, nowhere 22s?
I have been stocked up for a few years on components but looked on the net yesterday just for the heck of it.... OUCH!! Most stuff is out of stock and the prices are ten times what they were a year ago.
Watch out for the wheel weights on your cars.... I still cast :mrgreen:
Blast54

Postby Thib » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:26 pm

Domino effect... panic hoarding. Took a little while for it to effect the reloading supplies (except .223, that went away fast). I'm guessing lots of people overstocked as they saw the ammo market not recovering.

Watch out for the wheel weights on your cars.... I still cast

Unless you plan on finding a way to cast zinc, my wheel weights are ok! LOL Damn treehuggers went and ruined a perfectly good source of lead!
Thib

Postby tk421991 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:29 pm

Rifle ammo is back in stock wherever I go and is a touch more expensive, but not problematically expensive. 7.62x54r, .30-06, .303, stuff like that. Pistol ammo is either non-existent or extremely overpriced. I looked at the receipt from when I bought my Glock plus a box of ammo back in early December before Newtown; $24.95 for a box of Speer .357SIG 125gr FMJ. That same load of Speer is $39.95 at the same store I bought my Glock at a couple of weeks ago.

The thing about no more reloading components is that all the reloading components are going into loaded ammo. Why would a company sell off their bullets, brass and primers individually, when they're at full capacity and making a killing selling loaded ammo? From my time working in factories, I'd assume that the stuff they sell individually (brass, primers, ammo) is just overstock or is made specially in limited runs. How many people want loaded ammo versus how many people want components?

Why cast lead in your house when you can swage bullets? No boiling lead in the house needed, just another press.
tk421991

Postby Blast54 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:36 am

Swaged bullets are too soft unless they are plated.
Casting is not done in my home.
As to components being overstock... not quite. I wouldn't be surprised if the component demand is larger than manufactored ammo if you remove military and law enforcement (and Sirsqueebo).
When I was shooting competition, I was shooting 20k rnds per year on an average and most of the folks I shot with were doing about the same. That was trap and pistol.
Also the only way to get the accuracy needed for rifol shooting is from handloading rounds. Look at benchrest shooting when you have a chance.
Blast54

Postby tk421991 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:56 am

Blast54 wrote:Swaged bullets are too soft unless they are plated.

Also the only way to get the accuracy needed for rifol shooting is from handloading rounds. Look at benchrest shooting when you have a chance.

I thought that was the reason to use a swaging press? To give a regular lead bullet a jacket?

After I get my dad's rifle, I'm going to be buying a complete reloading kit when I get the money. I want to reload for accuracy - as much as the guns will give me.

tk421991

Postby Blast54 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:36 am

Jacketing swaged bullets is even more time consuming than plating. Never done it so don't know how much more time. Casting with a four cavity mold, it probably takes me an hour to make 200 heads. That includes me swaging/lubing with a hard lube. If you want to use a spray/liquid lube you can double that.
Rainier makes swaged bullets using their own lead alloy wire, swaged once, plated and then swaged again for final sizing.I assume if you are jacketing you only have to swage once but cant see the savings after buying alloy wire and copper.
With casting, I can use wheel weights which are hard enough by themselves to shoot common pistol rounds and if I am getting leading in the barrell I can always add some tin or linotype which I have plenty of both. The only cost to me is my time and a couple bucks in electricity.
Blast54

Next

Return to Reloading