300 AAC Blackout

Use this area to discuss topics relating to hand loading or reloading ammunition.

300 AAC Blackout

Postby shovel1966 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:22 am

Hi,
I'm planning on buying a complete upper and converting one of my AR's to 300 blk. I will of course have to start reloading for this cartridge. I already purchased a set of Hornady dies and the Lee Factory Crimp Die. Since I don't have a suppressor and most likely won't get one here in RI, I will probably not be loading for subsonic.

Does anyone here shoot or load for this cartridge? If so, what powders/velocity do you load to? Do you make your own brass or buy it already processed? Any other thoughts you may have?

Shovel
shovel1966

Re: 300 AAC Blackout

Postby tk421991 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:45 pm

You can't have a suppressor in RI, they're banned by 11-47-20. However, if you're into .300 Blackout, look through this website:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/11/foghorn/ammo-review-barnes-300-aac-blackout-110gr-tac-tx/

The guy who wrote that article has a severe love for .300 Blackout, and he's been writing about it off and on for a year or more. You could also probably find loads for it in a new reloading manual that's published by an American company.
tk421991

Postby jcat » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:21 pm

I would imagine that trimming .223 brass would be the most affordable way.

As it's a round optimized for short barrels and suppressors, most are loaded subsonic, but if I were you i'd look on ar15.com in the 300 blackout section for load advice, as well as loading manuals.
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Postby newportri » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:46 pm

I have never really looked into the 300 AAC, but what do you need to replace on a 5.56x45 ar-15 other than the barrel? I assume you can use readily available 30 caliber bullets on the lighter end, right? I guess the problem is getting cases, so you probably have to buy some ammo first or at least the cases.
Please post some pics on your build on the forum :-)
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby SirSqueeboo » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:50 pm

shovel1966 wrote:Hi,
I'm planning on buying a complete upper and converting one of my AR's to 300 blk. I will of course have to start reloading for this cartridge. I already purchased a set of Hornady dies and the Lee Factory Crimp Die. Since I don't have a suppressor and most likely won't get one here in RI, I will probably not be loading for subsonic.

Does anyone here shoot or load for this cartridge? If so, what powders/velocity do you load to? Do you make your own brass or buy it already processed? Any other thoughts you may have?

Shovel

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=141

My buddy sells 1K fully processed 300 brass shipped for I think around $140. By fully processed I mean de-primed, trimmed, re-sized, etc, etc. All you need to do is take it from the box into your press.

Soon he'll be casting lead bullets for it as well.
Last edited by SirSqueeboo on Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Postby SirSqueeboo » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:53 pm

newportri wrote:I have never really looked into the 300 AAC, but what do you need to replace on a 5.56x45 ar-15 other than the barrel? I assume you can use readily available 30 caliber bullets on the lighter end, right? I guess the problem is getting cases, so you probably have to buy some ammo first or at least the cases.
Please post some pics on your build on the forum :-)

The only thing you need to change is the barrel. Because it's the same brass; the bolt, mags, etc are all the same. For the time being 300 is defintielly a reloader's cartridge, although because it's got SAAMI approval and many ammo companies have agreed to make ammo for it, within a couple years it will be really commonplace and the price with drop drastically.
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Postby newportri » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:51 pm

The case must be different to accomodate a bigger bullet, but can you make a 300AAC case from a .223 case? That's a big difference in bullet diameter..
newportri

Postby SirSqueeboo » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:08 pm

newportri wrote:The case must be different to accomodate a bigger bullet, but can you make a 300AAC case from a .223 case? That's a big difference in bullet diameter..

It's a 223 case shortened and opened up a bit.

NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

SirSqueeboo

Postby shovel1966 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:25 pm

Thanks for all the info, opinions, and links.

There are plenty of companies who are selling the brass already processed and some even anneal the new bottleneck section. The cost ranges from about $90 to $115 for 500 cases and the price goes down with bulk. That's cheaper than a lot of the bigger caliber brand Starline handgun brass.

As far as the build, I still haven't figured out how to attach pictures to the posts on this forum. I will probably just buy a new upper minus the carrier bolt and charge handle for $385 from Model 1 Sales and attach it to one of my current ARs. I have also been looking at a complete CMMG upper from Midway that is currently in stock ready to ship.

Today I put a bid on Gun Broker for 1000 cases and ordered a Hornady die set off eBay. I already have extra toolheads and powder dies for my Dillon. Since the case size is the same as .223, I already have the shellplate and pins.

Yes, this 300 Blackout takes the same bullets as the .308 from about 110gr all the way up to 220gr. Of course some of the heavier bullets traveling at subsonic speed do not cycle well without the added backpressure of the suppressor. It may be a little trial and error to see what works well for me.
shovel1966

Postby newportri » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:01 pm

SirSqueeboo wrote:
newportri wrote:The case must be different to accomodate a bigger bullet, but can you make a 300AAC case from a .223 case? That's a big difference in bullet diameter..

It's a 223 case shortened and opened up a bit.

I think it is actually necked down since the case is cut down below the shoulder. Can this be done in a press, or do you need some more heavy duty machinery to do this?
newportri

Next

Return to Reloading