Productive day off

Use this area to discuss topics relating to hand loading or reloading ammunition.

Productive day off

Postby Thib » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:16 pm

Figured I would get a head start before shooting weather sneaks up on me... BTW, if you ever wondered what stainless media wet tumbled brass looks like, there you go!

Thib

Re: Productive day off

Postby SirSqueeboo » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:22 pm

Too pretty to shoot.
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Postby demjones » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:16 pm

Nice! I agree with SS.
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits." - Plutarch
demjones

Postby Blast54 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:19 pm

Now I have to google wet stainless. Guess I have been out of the loop too long.

BIll
Blast54

Postby Blast54 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:22 pm

Never mind.... I am tooo cheap!
Blast54

Postby x45 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:26 am

nice quality, that media does a good job!
“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples’ liberty’s teeth.” – George Washington
x45

Postby Thib » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:57 am

Yes, It was pricey... Think I paid $200+ for the model B kit. However, I was starting from scratch and had nothing, so I decided to go with the stainless for a couple of reasons. The first was that there is virtually no dust or airborne particles at any step of the process. I have kids, so I figured this was a solid choice for health reasons alone (the 1st pour off looks like used motor oil). The second reason was the results, yeah, it can be a pain to deprime before... but well worth it in my mind (plus the primer pockets are clean as well). I have plenty of brass, so I always have a thousand + already clean and ready to go. I also notice I can pick out imperfections easier when they are that clean...

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/
Thib

Postby demjones » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:30 pm

Once you've separated the brass and the stainless media, what's your process for returning the media to the Model B in a reasonably dry condition?
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits." - Plutarch
demjones

Postby Thib » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:17 pm

Well, I didn't get the media separator. I modified an old plastic kitchen strainer to allow the media to drop through, but the brass to stay in. After cleaning is complete, I dump off 90% of the nasty water and fill and dump off 3 or 4 more times to get all the dirty stuff out. I then fill and dump the entire contents into a big pot with my strainer in it. Shake it around, and it is mostly stainless free. I pour the water and pins back into the tumbler and pour off as much as possible without losing any media. Basically, I just leave it open if I'm not doing another run and the water evaporates in a couple of days.
Thib

Postby Pistola » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:17 pm

Thib,

How long does it take to get the brass cleaned? I don't know anything about reloading, but I want to start doing it and was recently told by someone that when I start buying equipment I should not get a vibrator or tumbler, but I should get an ultrasonic cleaner. Would an ultrasonic cleaner get the brass as nice as yours looks?

Thanks,

Pistola
Pistola

Next

Return to Reloading