Productive day off

Use this area to discuss topics relating to hand loading or reloading ammunition.

Re: Productive day off

Postby demjones » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:23 pm

Thanks!

I made the leap, and have been very happy with the results. Your method is pretty much what I do. I've been finding that a bit less than 2 hours in the tumbler is good for 120-150 pieces of .223.
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits." - Plutarch
demjones

Postby newportri » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:28 pm

What's the main advantage of this? You mentioned dust being an issue with regular media and I can see that, but won't you have to clean the stainless media once in a while to? I guess the stainless media will last forever, right?
Can you use stainless media in a regular tumbler? It will probably wear out faster in a plastic made tumbler, but would it still work or do you need a tumbler that spins around its own axis like you have?

You say you "wet" tumbled it, is that necessary with stainless? It seems like it is a lot more work to do this since now you have to dry it as well.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby Thib » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:43 pm

Pistola wrote:Thib,

How long does it take to get the brass cleaned? I don't know anything about reloading, but I want to start doing it and was recently told by someone that when I start buying equipment I should not get a vibrator or tumbler, but I should get an ultrasonic cleaner. Would an ultrasonic cleaner get the brass as nice as yours looks?

Thanks,

Pistola

I've never used an ultrasonic or seen results from one, so I really can't answer that question. However, I'd guess it wouldn't be as shiny... the SS pins do all the work.

newportri wrote:What's the main advantage of this? You mentioned dust being an issue with regular media and I can see that, but won't you have to clean the stainless media once in a while to? I guess the stainless media will last forever, right?
Can you use stainless media in a regular tumbler? It will probably wear out faster in a plastic made tumbler, but would it still work or do you need a tumbler that spins around its own axis like you have?

You say you "wet" tumbled it, is that necessary with stainless? It seems like it is a lot more work to do this since now you have to dry it as well.

Yeah, it's a little more work. The stainless media will last forever and does not get dirty. When you rinse it a few times with the brass, all the crap pours off.

I've heard of people trying it in a normal tumbler, but the problem is the extra weight from the pins and water are too much for most units.

I wouldn't want to try it dry... the 1st pour is nasty nasty!

Edit: oh, I guess the main advantage is just how clean the brass is... outside, inside, primer pocket.
Thib

Postby newportri » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:44 pm

So you still have to dispose of the dirty stuff, but at least it is not dust that blows around and that can inhale.
How do you dry it?
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby demjones » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:23 pm

newportri wrote:So you still have to dispose of the dirty stuff, but at least it is not dust that blows around and that can inhale.
How do you dry it?

The dirty stuff: pours right down the drain as opposed to collecting on the media. As Thib said, the first pour is REALLY dirty. I find it easy to rinse the brass and the media, which removes any residual crud.

As for drying, there are several methods: use an oven at low heat, use a food dehydrator, lay the brass out on a towel. Drying times will vary with the methods. I've tried the oven thing - let it heat up to 150 and place the brass on a shallow sheet pan. Turn the heat off when you put the brass in. When the oven's cool, the brass is dry and cool enough to handle.

For me, the extra steps of initial depriming and drying are made up for by not having to use a primer pocket brush.
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits." - Plutarch
demjones

Postby Thib » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:07 pm

I just dump them on a towel, wrap em up, shake them up real good, and leave them out on the towel for a day or two. I try to stay ahead of myself as far as clean brass so I am never waiting for them to dry... bought some of those Glad tupperware-like containers and just slap a post it note with the caliber.
Thib

Postby demjones » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:12 pm

One thing - picking up those stray little stainless pieces that like to go walkabout became a pain. So, I bought a little magnet and cleanup is a breeze.
demjones

Previous

Return to Reloading