Pain in the "brass"

Use this area to discuss topics relating to hand loading or reloading ammunition.

Pain in the "brass"

Postby Thib » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:26 pm

Just a heads up for you reloaders and curious if anyone else has run into these.

My last run of 9mm, I ran across two types of brass that felt odd in the press and wouldn't expand the case mouth as much as the other stuff. Ammoload & Geco were the headstamps... I think I may just cull them out and toss them into the recycle bucket. I did a search and it seems others have noticed the same issue.
Last edited by Thib on Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thib

Re: Pain in the "brass"

Postby demjones » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:02 pm

Thanks for the heads-up!
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits." - Plutarch
demjones

Postby Thib » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:02 pm

Just pulled out some of the "Ammoload" cases... They seem to have a sleeve or internal rim around the bottom 1/3 of the case. I guess my only concern would be running a fast burning hot load, I would assume the case volume is decreased thus increasing pressure. (I haven't tested the volume vs a standard case as of yet.)

Thib

Postby Blast54 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:00 am

Don't know about the recycle value either.... could be steel cased if it feels odd. Put a magnet to it after removing primer...I am curious.
Looks like crap brass...
Blast54

Postby Thib » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:42 am

Blast54 wrote:Don't know about the recycle value either.... could be steel cased if it feels odd. Put a magnet to it after removing primer...I am curious.
Looks like crap brass...

Nope, just checked. not magnetic!
Thib

Postby Thib » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:53 am

Poked around a bit on various reloading sites regarding this particular brand of brass. Someone did a volume test of the area not occupied by the bullet and estimated it to be 9% less due to the wall. Some speculate that the wall is to prevent bullet set-back or just a less volume = less powder thing.

This stuff is coming from a company named Freedom Munitions.

Those that are using a lot of it are reporting serious problems with the cases separating along the "ridgeline". This can lead to a stoppage that will just plain piss you off because now you have to go fishing for the "collar" left in the chamber.

Another problem reported is that the "ridge" is not uniform in it's distance below the case mouth. This could be a big problem when loading your pet load and then having a reduced volume when you get to a case with more "thick portion".

Last gripe posted on another forum I visit was the fact that the case heads are convex which could lead to light primer strikes.

In short, it seems like it's poorly made brass that's not meant to be reloaded unless you measure the ridge height, match up the cases, and then use an appropriate bullet.

Some have speculated that the extra thickness is an attempt to stop the Glock Bulge but if this is the reason, it's sure created a bunch of other problems for a reloader.

I think I will just toss em...
Thib

Postby a1983 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:22 am

Ach - that is a bummer. I don't reload but I have bought the "blaster" ammo from Freedom Munitions in the past. It ran fine, no complaints. Does this problem only pop up when you are reloading the cases or is it "first firing" of the stuff?
a1983

Postby Blast54 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:45 am

Thib wrote:
Blast54 wrote:Don't know about the recycle value either.... could be steel cased if it feels odd. Put a magnet to it after removing primer...I am curious.
Looks like crap brass...

Nope, just checked. not magnetic!

Thanks for checking, just curious/speculating
Blast54

Postby Thib » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:51 am

a1983 wrote:Ach - that is a bummer. I don't reload but I have bought the "blaster" ammo from Freedom Munitions in the past. It ran fine, no complaints. Does this problem only pop up when you are reloading the cases or is it "first firing" of the stuff?

Just a pain for us reloaders... you are fine shooting it out of the box.
Thib

Return to Reloading