Wet tumble brass with Stainless Steel?

Use this area to discuss topics relating to hand loading or reloading ammunition.

Wet tumble brass with Stainless Steel?

Postby shovel1966 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:25 pm

Hello,

I have been seriously looking into the wet tumbling systems with stainless steel pins. It seems as if it does a real good job of cleaning brass. Does anyone here use this method to clean your brass? I'm looking at the Frankford Arsenal rotary tumbler complete system with media for less than two C-notes.
shovel1966

Re: Wet tumble brass with Stainless Steel?

Postby Thib » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:30 pm

There are at least 2 of us that use the SS method on here.

Pros: Super clean like new brass, primer pocket clean, shorter cleaning cycle, no dust, quieter

Cons: Smaller batches, cost, you have to come up with a drying method (or just air dry for a day or 2 like I do), deprime before you clean

All said, I love it. I don't know anything about the frankford arsenal model (it seems to be new). I use http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/stm-complete-package-2.html
Thib

Postby Blast54 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:46 pm

Someone posted some pics a few months ago. Not cheap to do but the results are awesome.

What is the purpose of depriming before you clean? Just to get cleaner primer pockets?
Blast54

Postby shovel1966 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:00 pm

Here is the one I am actually looking to get. Although I am not a big fan of taking extra steps (like depriming before tumbling and having to air dry) I think I will still give this a shot. This tumbler looks to be a bit bigger and claims to be able to tumble 1000 pieces of .223 brass at one time.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pro ... ctId/27279
shovel1966

Postby demjones » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:28 pm

I'm one of the two Thib speaks of. There's indeed an additional step or two, but it's well worth it for me. Aside from the pleasure of seeing bright & shiny (almost shinier than new) brass, one of the fringe benefits I've found is ease of resizing. The lack of carbon and corncob residue on the cleaned brass has reduced the amount of lube I need when resizing. The additional step of depriming prior to cleaning is offset by not needing to individually clean each primer pocket.

I've seen the Graf's ad for the Franklin tumbler. I have no idea of the tumbler's quality, but at first glance it appears OK.

I wound up investing $39 in a food dehydrator for brass drying. It goes fast. I'm a happy camper.
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits." - Plutarch
demjones

Postby Blast54 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:00 pm

So I think what I am hearing here, is that if you are like me and DON'T clean primer pockets, then it is not necessary to deprime before cleaning with the wet system. Actually the only reason I clean my brass is because I pick it up off the ground and I don't want to run dirt/sand through my dies or pistol/rifle AND I get to inspect the brass one more time before I reload it.
I really do like how the wet system cleans it though.... tempting :mrgreen:
Blast54

Postby shovel1966 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:06 am

If you don't first deprime the cases in the wet system, I would think water would get down into the primer pocket through the flashhole inside the case. That water would then be trapped in the pocket until you deprime the brass to reload. Personally that could be weeks for me. Plus on my progressive press, I deprime a case and install a new primer in less than a second. I'm sure that is not enough time for the pocket to dry out. Would imagine getting many misfires due to the newly installed primer being wet. Just my thoughts. :idea: :idea:
shovel1966

Postby newportri » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:12 pm

shovel1966 wrote:Plus on my progressive press, I deprime a case and install a new primer in less than a second. I'm sure that is not enough time for the pocket to dry out.

If you have to deprime first though, you would have to run the brass through twice (once before the wet tunble and once after). I shoot quite a bit of USPSA/IDPA (or at least I hope to do this season)
It seems like a lot of work to wet tumble and that the reward is very small. I have been using corn media for years without any problems. Maybe my brass don't get as shiny as with a wet tumble, but I would rather spend time shooting that making sure my brass is shiny. I have never had any issues with reliability with my ammo either. If I was shooting in the USPSA Open division where guns are tricked out to be as fast as they can be and they are also known to be finnicky, then I might spend a little more time with my brass.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby shovel1966 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:13 pm

Have been using a mixture of corn cob media and crushed walnut shells for the past 7 or so years with very good luck. I have NEVER cleaned the primer pockets and have never had any problems because of that. I add a capful of liquid car polish to get the cases mirror shiny and they slide in and out of the dies with ease. (although I still lube rifle cases)

I really don't have any reason to start wet tumbling, but find the process to be interesting, possibly quieter, possibly quicker, and less dusty. I agree with you, Newport, that it certainly won't be a time saver and the benefits will not make any "real world" difference.

There are still two firearms I wish to get in the near future so my just save the $ and stick to the trusty Lyman Turbo 1200 pro vibratory tumbler I already have.
shovel1966

Return to Reloading