Frustrating mistake

Use this area to discuss topics relating to hand loading or reloading ammunition.

Frustrating mistake

Postby Thib » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:41 am

Back when primers were tough to come by, I bought some Remington primers because D&L had a shelf full...

Recently, I've been getting a lot of light strikes shooting steel matches and it was pissing me off so I tore apart the M&P. I tuned up the trigger bar and sear loop as well as clean the striker and striker channel. Took it out to the range with my target loads I made up a few months ago and ripped off 200 without a hiccup. Last match, 3 light strikes in the first 2 rounds... I moved to my 45 for the remaining 3 rounds, frustrated as hell.

Noticed the problem today... stacked open on top of my 2 remaining boxes of Remington 1 1/2 primers was a box of Remington 5 1/2 primers. Now, Remington doesn't say so on the box, but 5 1/2's are magnum primers. The cup is thicker to prevent pierced primers in magnum ammunition. My target ammo was produced with the 1 1/2's so they were fine, but my steel ammo was recently made mistakenly with the 5 1/2's. Not that it would matter because my steel ammo is loaded so light it waddles to the target, but apparently there is no extra charge in the Remington "Magnum" primers, just harder shells.

Lesson learned... figured I'd mention it to anyone that didn't know better. Guess I'll be buying some 357 bullets to load up for the 686! :evil:

Thib

Re: Frustrating mistake

Postby newportri » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:06 am

Yeah, that is frustrating. I had a similar problem with CCI primers that are known for being harder and with a lightened firing pin spring on my G34 there were some issues.

If you have a lot of the primers, you can try replacing the firing pin with a titanium firing pin since it is lighter and will hit the primer at a higher speed. They also often have a little different tip that is supposed to help. You could also change the firing pin spring, but this would increase the trigger pull slightly.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby shovel1966 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:13 pm

I use the Remington 7 1/2 primers for loading .454 Casull and didn't realize they are magnum. Good to know so I don't use them for loading in my .223.
shovel1966

Postby Thib » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:31 pm

shovel1966 wrote:I use the Remington 7 1/2 primers for loading .454 Casull and didn't realize they are magnum. Good to know so I don't use them for loading in my .223.

Do some research before you don't use them. The CCI NATO primers specifically have a greater cup thickness to help prevent slam fires in AR's. Though I have never seen a slam fire first hand, I get the idea.

Edit: I just read that 7 1/2 were recommended for .223/556 semi's specifically. Check it out, and let us know!
Thib

Postby jcat » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:37 pm

Thib wrote:
shovel1966 wrote:I use the Remington 7 1/2 primers for loading .454 Casull and didn't realize they are magnum. Good to know so I don't use them for loading in my .223.

Do some research before you don't use them. The CCI NATO primers specifically have a greater cup thickness to help prevent slam fires in AR's. Though I have never seen a slam fire first hand, I get the idea.

Edit: I just read that 7 1/2 were recommended for .223/556 semi's specifically. Check it out, and let us know!

Yep. This is due to the design of the firing pin within the bolt group. There have been plenty of cases of slam fires because the BCGs momentum is enough to overcome the firing pin spring's force and allow it to move forward. Sometimes depending on ammo/primer brand if you chamber the same round a couple times you'll see the primer get dented.
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Postby RImike » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:41 am

jcat wrote:
Thib wrote:

Yep. This is due to the design of the firing pin within the bolt group. There have been plenty of cases of slam fires because the BCGs momentum is enough to overcome the firing pin spring's force and allow it to move forward. Sometimes depending on ammo/primer brand if you chamber the same round a couple times you'll see the primer get dented.

Slam fires happen when the firing pin isn't cleaned properly and it doesn't fully retract back into the BCG, this happens quite often on AK's.
RImike

Return to Reloading