Blue Bullets

Use this area to discuss topics relating to hand loading or reloading ammunition.

Blue Bullets

Postby Thib » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:27 am

I was working Mini Walls of Steel last month and I noticed a guy shooting these blue bullets, talked to him a bit and he pointed me to http://www.thebluebullets.com/

He said they work great and are less expensive than FMJ or plated... I figured I'd order 750 of the 9mm 147gr RN (which is what I use from Berry's as my plate round) I'm going to give this hundred a go tomorrow and see how they fly. I have to admit, they do look a little funny!

Whats our coating?

Our coating is a proprietary polymer based liquid coating that we mix in house (not a powder coating.) It is applied twice and left to dry in between. Once the bullets have sufficiently dried they then have to be cooked to fully cure the coating. The bullets are sized after the coating has cured to ensure a consistent and round bullet.

Here is the batch I just pressed up. I had to reduce the crimp and back off the seating depth a bit (about a thousandth thicker and a rounder fatter nose than the Berry's)
Thib

Re: Blue Bullets

Postby newportri » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:54 pm

They are essentially lead bullets with a coating that makes them a little safer to handle from what I understand, is that right? I can see that they are cheaper than FMJ or plated bullets.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby SirSqueeboo » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:49 pm

Reminds me of the old nyclad bullets.
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Postby newportri » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:01 pm

I have seen the green bullets, but I have not seen the blue ones. Is there a difference other than the color?
newportri

Postby Thib » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:10 pm

The green bullets are most likely bayou bullets. They come in 3 different colors now. I'm assuming this is a very similar coating. Haven't tried the blue ones yet, might shoot for later today.
Thib

Postby Thib » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:44 am

They shot where I aimed, which is supposed to be at the steel plates... just a hint of smoke on some, but that could just be the ammoland brass that snuck into my batch with the inside sleeve creating a bit more pressure. They actually sealed well with the brass as I got virtually no soot on the ejected cartridge. I only use 3.3 of Titegroup with the 147 Berry's and usually get a little blow-through on one side of the brass. I may try backing off the power a tad and see what happens, they felt a little snappier. Remember, I'm loading these for knockdown steel plates, so I'm not trying to reach a power factor... just trying to get back on the targets quickly. I will pull apart the M&P and see if there is any noticeable buildup in the barrel.

For those wondering, 3.3 worked with my stock spring, I have since switched to a 13lb spring.
Thib

Postby newportri » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:49 am

They shot where I aimed
I need some of those bullets then...
newportri

Postby shovel1966 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:29 am

I looked them up yesterday and will probably get one or two of their 250 round sample packs. A little more pricey in the sample packs, but for around 10 cents a piece shipped to the house, I will give them a try. I really like Precision Delta's FMG, Zero's JHP, Berry's plated, and various hard cast lead from a number of manufacturers and hope that these perform well also.
shovel1966

Return to Reloading