Finally getting into the game...first reloading setup

Use this area to discuss topics relating to hand loading or reloading ammunition.

Re: Finally getting into the game...first reloading setup

Postby demjones » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:30 am

jcat wrote:Another idea I'm thinking I'll go with is picking up a beef jerky drier to allow quicker drying after wet tumbling.

I wet/stainless tumble my rifle cases. The results are great. When I made the jump I also got a food dehydrator. I'm happy with it. If you check Amazon you can eventually find some good prices (mine was about $39). Just make sure you deprime first and you'll get some nice, shiny primer pockets. The super-clean brass makes sizing a piece of cake and keeps my sizing die cleaner.

I still dry tumble pistol brass.
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits." - Plutarch
demjones

Postby jcat » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:25 pm

What media do you use to dry tumble the pistol cases? Still stainless pins or corn cob, or something else?
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Postby demjones » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:36 pm

I use crushed walnut or corn cob. I only use the stainless pins for wet tumbling.
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits." - Plutarch
demjones

Postby RImike » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:36 pm

demjones wrote:I use crushed walnut or corn cob. I only use the stainless pins for wet tumbling.

Stainless pins sure do have a "wow" factor, especially when showing off the ammo at the range.
RImike

Postby Thib » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:54 pm

I have to say, Midway has the Frankford Arsenal Platinum tumbler on sale and I'm eyeing it. Supposedly will hold up to 1k .223! I do my pistol brass during the winter when I hardly shoot so I am good to go for the shooting months, but that giant drum is intriguing me...
Thib

Postby Blast54 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:15 am

How much of a pain to get the pins out of cases (223?) and primer pockets?
Blast54

Postby demjones » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:29 am

It's pretty easy. I dump out as much of the dirty water as I can, then refill with clean water while stirring the brass around. Once the drum is pretty full I just pick out the brass a few pieces at a time, shaking them once or twice as I lift. What pins remain in the brass after stirring usually fall right back into the water. Once all the brass is out I empty out the water. Any pins that spill I pick up with a magnet and drop back into the drum.

You can also buy a mechanical separator, but I'm happy with my current method. Although it sounds like a lot, it's very quick & easy. For me it beats poking corn or walnut out of flash holes. As always, YMMV.
demjones

Postby newportri » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:03 am

That Frankford Arsenal looks nice, and I like that it has a timer. It's pretty big (and expensive) though..
I have a Cabela's tumbler that I like quite a bit. I am sure there are other similar models that are just as good, but what sold me that this was the only one (at the time that I could find) that had an ON/OFF switch. Yeah, really, every other model had to be unplugged to be turned off and I thought that was just stupid.. Why would someone develop an electrical device without a ON/OFF switch??

For years I was also picking out my brass out of the media since I didn't have much faith in the media separators. However, I eventually got one and I was surprised how well it worked even with just 3-4 cranks. Maybe my brass don't come out as nice and shiny as with the wet tumblers, but it is quick to do and I don't need to dry my brass when I am done.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby RImike » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:34 pm

newportri wrote: Why would someone develop an electrical device without a ON/OFF switch??

Not sure, probably the same reason appliances didn't have plugs on them when sold in England:
http://www.nytimes.com/1992/01/31/world ... gress.html
RImike

Previous

Return to Reloading