Recycle brass?

Use this area to discuss topics relating to hand loading or reloading ammunition.

Recycle brass?

Postby shovel1966 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:48 am

Does anyone else here recycle their unusable brass? When I lived in Virginia I threw all of my bad brass, cracked cases, spent primers, etc into a large plastic container. When it got full, my daughter and I would take it to the recycling center and get approx $30-$35 which I would give half to my daughter. I'm not sure if there is a recycling center close enough to the house to make it worth while.

What do you do with it? Do you even save it? Do you bring it to your local gun club?

I was ashamed to recently learn that the gun club where I am a member gets rid of their range metal (cases) as "mixed, unsorted metals" and gets pennies on the dollar for once-fired usable rifle and pistol brass. Aluminum, steel, brass, etc all goes onto one bucket and it gets hauled away for pennies. There are plenty of reloaders out there who could use this brass. I would even buy the brass from time to time if I ran low of a certain caliber. Maybe this last paragraph should be another new topic.
shovel1966

Re: Recycle brass?

Postby jdp29 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:51 am

I bring mine to the scrap yard when my bucket gets full
jdp29

Postby newportri » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:12 am

It's a good idea, but I don't do it myself. I just don't have enough scrap brass to keep track of. I never thought about primers though, and I noticed that the bag of spent primers hanging off my press is starting to get a little heavy.

I know Tiverton collects all spent brass cases and sells them to a scrap yard. You are actually only allowed to pick up your own brass. We also have ballistic rubber backstops on both the outdoor and indoor range and we recycle the lead out of them and sells it. I think it pretty much pays for new rubber, but I am not 100% sure.
You can only imagine how much lead is in a backstop. Just in 1-2 weekends they had back to back tactical rifle classes where I think they said they shot 40,000 rounds in the backstop. That's over 300 pounds right there...
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby shovel1966 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:38 am

Yes, Newport, Tiverton is the club I was talking about. Right now mixed yellow brass scrap price for the East Coast is $1.76 per pound. Tiverton turns in all it's valuable brass with all other metals and gets approx $0.20 per pound because it has aluminum and steel mixed in and gets the "mixed metals" price.

To me this is what a liberal Democrat would do. They get a nice warm and fuzzy that they are doing something good for the environment (recycling) and getting back a couple dollars for the good of the club. However, they are taking perfectly good reloadable brass and only getting about 1/10 the price even what scrap brass is worth. Avid local club shooters could be using this brass to pursue their hobby and expanding the community.

I am also not a fan of any gun buyback programs where perfectly good firearms are brought in, given pennies on the dollar, and destroyed/melted down for no good reason. This, to me, is exactly the same thing Tiverton is doing to the good usable brass.

I know there have been much more sensible ideas brought up to the TRGC that would generate more revenue for the club and keep the usable brass within the shooting community. The club decision makers shot the sensible ideas down with very little thought.

Does anyone remember a few years back when the US Govt banned the sale of the military spent brass to reloading companies such as Georgia Arms and Freedom Munitions? Instead the Govt was going to sell the spent brass to China for a low price and pay to have it shipped overseas. The govt was going to lose millions of dollars. That ban didn't last long and American companies are again allowed to purchase the spent brass and keep it in the community.
shovel1966

Postby jcat » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:16 pm

There's a scrap yard down in NK that gives pretty good prices on everything, off of davisville road near the train tracks.
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Postby newportri » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:07 pm

I actually went to the NK scrap yard a few times around 2008 (first Obama election/term) to buy lead for casting since it was hard to find bullets. It was hard to even find lead back then, but I haven't been there in years now.
Speaking of reloading components, has anyone been able to find any pistol/rifle powder lately?
newportri

Postby n1bsbri » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:19 pm

I was at D&L about a week ago, and they had tons of powder. Specifically W231 - 8lb jugs which I have not seen in ages. Lots of other powders too.
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Postby newportri » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:39 pm

It's been a while since I have been there, but the last time they had quite a bit of powder, but it was mostly shotgun powder and other powders that were commonly used. I didn't see any Bullseye, Unique, or 4895. I know those powders have been out of stock for ages with the online dealers I usually buy from.
newportri

Postby Cshooter » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:40 am

I have been saving my old brass, as well as others who dont want their old brass. There is a company I order ammo from who has a brass trade in program, so when I place a bigger order I just send in the brass and get a discount on the ammo.
Cshooter

Postby RImike » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:52 pm

Brass/powder/primer isn't the issue for me. It's the cost of bullets. I used to be able to get 500 77 grn hpbt matchking for $100 a box, now it's $175 and everywhere is sold out.
RImike

Next

Return to Reloading