Cleaning Brass

Use this area to discuss topics relating to hand loading or reloading ammunition.

Cleaning Brass

Postby MM2(SS) » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:45 pm

I have been saving my brass for the last couple of years in preparation for when I finally get off my ass & get set up for reloading. I would now like to start cleaning it to get even more ready for when I get set up. Any recommendations on what to get or not to get.
An armed society is a polite society!
MM2(SS)

Re: Cleaning Brass

Postby Blast54 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:32 pm

My goal when cleaning brass is primarily to remove any residue or "grit". Any vibratory tub type tumbler works just fine... corn or walnut media has worked for me. If buying walnut go to petsmart and buy a bag for half price..look in the lizard section :)

I have never seen brass so bright and new and fancy and clean looking as the wet systems they have out now... doesn't make it shoot any better but I am a bit envious when someone shoots next to me, I just can't justify the expense. Frugal?

Have fun
Blast54

Postby RImike » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:16 pm

Wet tumbling is the bees knees. Once I get 2K of brass sorted I will be getting a wet tumbler
RImike

Postby Thib » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:24 pm

Blast is correct... depends on what you want. I personally wet tumble with stainless pins.

Pro's:
- Cleanest brass around
- Short 2 or 3 hr cycle, possibly shorter
- Cleans the primer pocket
- No dust to breath in (important if you have a nut allergy or other heath issues)
- Never have to buy or store media

Con's:
- Extra step de-priming before cleaning
- Sometimes the pins get stuck in the primer hole
- Need to rinse and let the brass dry (or dry them with various methods)
- Costs a bit more

All that being said, I've heard great things about the Frankford Arsenal Tumbler (fits 1000 .223's and has a timer to turn itself off) It's $165 at Midway http://www.midwayusa.com/product/713881/frankford-arsenal-platinum-series-rotary-case-tumbler?cm_vc=ProductFinding

I use a Harvey Deprimer to de-prime while I watch TV. $50 [url][http://harveydeprimer.com//url]

So... It comes down to if you want to spend the extra $ and what end result you want. I tend to try and stay ahead of the game with cleaned brass, so I don't mind the extra step, however... I've been shooting alot this year, so I'd better get busy!)
Thib

Postby demjones » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:45 am

What Blast & Thib said. You can't go wrong with a dry tumbler, but I love my wet tumbler with stainless pins and a touch of Dawn. The brass looks awesome and I find myself using about 2/3 to 3/4 less Imperial Sizing goop when I resize. I primarily load bottleneck (.223, .308 & 30-06) cases. There is the extra depriming step, but like Thib I deprime in front of the TV using a Frankford Arsenal handheld tool. I've got 600 .223 cases ready to clean, having just done a quick 200 .308 cases.
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits." - Plutarch
demjones

Postby don3 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:47 pm

I use the tumbler with corn cob. Unlike every one else on rifle stuff I size and de prime first then tumble, this gets all the sizing lube off. I started doing this when I was loading 22 Jet...everyone was having trouble with brass backing up in chamber due to lube, never had any trouble.
don3

Postby x45 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:20 am

I was on a low budget and Google "how to clean rifle brass without a tumbler" and I ran a bunch through my AR with no issues. I bought a Cabala's tumbler made by Berry and the darn thing was defective and had to return it so I will probably now go with a Lyman model next. But until then I will have no problems doing a wash only and though they do not come out shinny looking they seem to shoot fine.
Last edited by x45 on Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples’ liberty’s teeth.” – George Washington
x45

Postby newportri » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:24 am

How did you do it?
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby x45 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:37 am

1 qt hot water
1 cup vinegar
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp Dish soap
“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples’ liberty’s teeth.” – George Washington
x45

Postby demjones » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:21 pm

That looks like it'll work just fine. Not being overly wise in the ways of chemistry, I'm curious about the salt.

I have some .308 brass I use only in my Savage 10. It's nicely fire-formed. All I do is use a shop cloth with some hot water and a touch of Dawn to clean the outside, brush out the primer pocket and then neck size. Works great! I only do 20-30 at a time, though.
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits." - Plutarch
demjones

Next

Return to Reloading