Economical plinker

Use this area to discuss topics relating to hand loading or reloading ammunition.

Economical plinker

Postby CTSixshot » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:08 pm

Seems I gravitate to this simple bullet for most of my backyard plinking... Lyman 311410.

Works well in .30 Carbine, 7.62x38R/39/51/54R/63, .303 British, 7.5 Swiss, 7.7 Japanese, 7.65 Argentine. A small charge of most any pistol powder gives 700 to 1000 rounds per pound.

CTSixshot

Re: Economical plinker

Postby Cyril » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:14 pm

Looks like it doesn't use a gas check, right? I'm pretty interested in checkless rifle plinking bullets, especially a universal .30 caliber, but it seems my options are modifying a Lee mould, getting a rifle in a caliber that I currently don't have (Heaven forbid! :D), or buying a more expensive mould from another manufacturer.

10gr Unique as an economical universal .30cal rifle reduced recoil cast load has quite a few fan pages and forum threads, and it even shows up in official load data in the Lyman 48th edition book (for .308win, it varies somewhere in the 8 to 12 gr range for starting load depending on cast bullet weight).

I am well-stocked with Unique and plan to try it that way soon. I haven't yet because I had to figure out a way to get my Lee C309-170-F to drop with the "bore rider"-style nose a little smaller, as I was unable to chamber them as dropped and nose-sizing isn't economical or practical for me unless I make my own equipment. Making my own seemed realistic; it reportedly would work to drill out a washer just right and mount it to any die body, then adjust height as necessary and make/buy an adapter to hold the bullet on a reloading press's ram - if I can keep everything concentric or build it to self-align. However, I found that Krylon high-heat BBQ/Stove paint and some aerosol graphite made the mould behave with minimal effort/cost, and some of the boolits even dropped with enough clearance to let me powdercoat the nose instead of just the rear.

I wish Lee would make a checkless aluminum 6-cavity .309 mould. The TL-309-230-5R looks like a nice shape but I guess it's too heavy for .308win.
Cyril

Postby CTSixshot » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:09 pm

The 311410 is a plain-base bullet. It's listed as an M1 Carbine and 7.62x39mm bullet in the Lyman literature.
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bull ... entryID=45
It works fine in other 30 caliber applications, but I doubt I ever exceed 1400 fps in any of my cast bullet reloads. Even with my 6.5mm Swede, I cast the Lyman 266469 and rarely use the gas check on reduced loads.
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bull ... entryID=40
The coated (colored) bullets that I get from Norm in NM have gas-checks, so I run them in all loads as is. I've never ordered his 150gr .30 caliber bullets, but they'd be ideal I'd think. No sense sending 220 grains downrange when 150 will suffice. My guess is that his 170 grainer is the RCBS mold...? I'll attempt to attach his price list.
2013 Online Price Lis -2t (4).doc
Unless you're looking for whacker loads, the 220gr is on the heavy end for .308 Winchester, but seeing as how 200+ are used in .300 AAC BLK, I don't know why these won't work in .308, too. We wouldn't be pushing these at warp speed, correct?
I have used the X-Treme plated FN in 7.5 Swiss and 7.62x51mm, but it's not always the smoothest feeding with the flat point. The coated 170g from Norm ran well in a Remington Woodsmaster that I had on loan for a spell.
Can't help you regarding mold choices, but perhaps you could cut the heavy bullets down between the GC and lube groove; at least to get you into a more typical weight range (that becomes a bit laborious, I'd think).

Not your usual bullet choice for 7.5x55mm...

Used on lead ingot...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTSixshot

Postby Cyril » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:53 pm

Indeed, my curiosity about those heavy bullets was for their plain base, but I have no need to whack the target that hard and would rather spend less of my lead supply.

Very cool, shooting at lead ingot!
Cyril

Postby CTSixshot » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:10 pm

For the record, Norm will ship USPS, so roughly 5-600 bullets will ship for ~ $6.
Here are a few of the items I've purchased (not worth casting at his prices):

150g 6.5mm

CTSixshot

Postby CTSixshot » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:16 pm

FWIW, you can save a little more alloy by using the Lyman 311008 bullet; a 115gr flat-nosed bullet ideally for the .32-20, but it can be sized .308" to .314", too.
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bull ... entryID=54

Pictured on left...
CTSixshot

Postby CTSixshot » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:54 pm

Been having a lot of fun and trigger time with these easy-shooting rounds:

...and for shooting around corners:

CTSixshot

Return to Reloading