Lyman 311410 reload/shoot-off

Use this area to discuss topics relating to hand loading or reloading ammunition.

Re: Lyman 311410 reload/shoot-off

Postby cookiecutter » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:11 pm

Consider me impressed! ... and intrigued.

By the looks of the pic, you are hydraulically depriming? That's a clever way of answering the "how do I align the depriming tool?" question.

Do you just use a bullet diameter punch and deal with whatever back spray you get? It seems like that would have to be an outdoor activity ... at least for those of us that are married. :o

Thanks for sharing!

CC
cookiecutter

Postby CTSixshot » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:51 pm

Every reloader probably has some Lee Decap tools with a broken pin punch; that's all that's required. If you have a loose fit, simply place a bread wrapper over the case mouth to seal it better. I suppose you could neck-size any loose cases, too, but that is a bit repetitive.
There are fancier water decap systems out there, but keep it simple.
Some cases are a bear to decap hydraulically (French .30-06, S.African 7.62 NATO, etc.), but the GP11, Turkish 8mm, Albanian 7.62x54R and most others decap with water quite easily. Obviously, use a rod of appropriate diameter for 8mm, 6.5mm and others. You can use the RCBS tool as well, but it isn't 100% either and it costs much more than water. If you have a batch of cases that don't decap easily, they can go into the scrap bucket; you'll recover the majority of your berdan cases.
With boxer-primed cases readily available, one could argue, why bother? It's your own decision whether it's worth it or not.
I don't know how many times I've reloaded the GP11 brass. I wouldn't shoot the Swiss much at all if it were up to my boxer-primed brass supply (yes, I could buy more Prvi ammo, but I don't know when I last spent scarce dollars on factory ammo).
CTSixshot

Postby CTSixshot » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:38 pm

Here's another picture of my high-tech GP11 decapping system:

CTSixshot

Postby cookiecutter » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:59 pm

That does look like an outdoor activity, but given the temps up there right now, it would have to be anti-freeze, not water :o

Maybe it is a garage activity ...

CC
cookiecutter

Previous

Return to Reloading