Wet Tumble Brass

Use this area to discuss topics relating to hand loading or reloading ammunition.

Wet Tumble Brass

Postby Blast54 » Fri May 05, 2017 5:46 pm

Been reloading for 40 years and was finally curious enough to purchase a Frankford Arsenal tumbler.

Pros : Brass is really like new brass...no kidding.
No more walnut or corn dust....Being in the rock drilling/blasting business, I have enough foreign material in my lungs.
Pretty quick..I tumbled about 500 9mm that were filthy and brown in about an hour.

Cons : Little bit of a PIA separating pins ( I do have the magnet, also used my media separator from Dillon)
I think with time I will figure this out...this was only my first run
Frankfort has their own cleaner but I understand Dawn dish deturgent works just as well.

Photo attached
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blast54
 
Posts: 621
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: Wet Tumble Brass

Postby RImike » Fri May 05, 2017 6:56 pm

I do this too using a Harbor Freight Rotary tumbler with 3.5 lbs of pins per side. With this I can do (50) .223 cases or (100) 9mm. I use a spoon full of dawn and a 9mm shell full of Lemishine.

One of the largest cons comes from an accuracy stand point and from what I understand, the inside of the necks are "to clean".
RImike
 
Posts: 802
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:39 pm

Re: Wet Tumble Brass

Postby Cyril » Fri May 05, 2017 7:23 pm

What did you do before you bought the Frankford Arsenal tumbler?

I built a tumbler using a free salvaged treadmill and a $1 drum from Dollar Tree. I haven't wet-tumbled, but the drum seals well and I could. I use corncob pet litter and a dollop of Nu-Finish car polish, works great.
User avatar
Cyril
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:00 am

Re: Wet Tumble Brass

Postby cookiecutter » Mon May 08, 2017 7:15 pm

I got the parts together to build myself a 2.5 gallon wet tumbler JUST before we put our house on the market ... so my inaugural run will have to wait until I arrive up there in RI. Selling a house really cramps my style and is, generally, just a real PITA!! I'm hoping that my new tumbler will be a lot quieter than my vibratory walnut based system that I can hear on the second floor when it is running on the opposite side of the house in the basement :shock: We'll see how it works.

CC
cookiecutter
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:00 am

Re: Wet Tumble Brass

Postby RImike » Mon May 08, 2017 7:34 pm

cookiecutter wrote:I got the parts together to build myself a 2.5 gallon wet tumbler JUST before we put our house on the market ... so my inaugural run will have to wait until I arrive up there in RI. Selling a house really cramps my style and is, generally, just a real PITA!! I'm hoping that my new tumbler will be a lot quieter than my vibratory walnut based system that I can hear on the second floor when it is running on the opposite side of the house in the basement :shock: We'll see how it works.

CC


It's wicked quite.

Oh since your going to be a RI'er you need to start liking coffee milk, not stopping at stop signs, and using words like "wicked" more often :D
RImike
 
Posts: 802
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:39 pm

Re: Wet Tumble Brass

Postby demjones » Mon May 08, 2017 11:50 pm

I've been wet tumbling for 3-4 years. A little Dawn & some Lemishine does the trick for me.
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits." - Plutarch
User avatar
demjones
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:48 pm

Re: Wet Tumble Brass

Postby cookiecutter » Tue May 09, 2017 7:43 pm

RImike wrote:
cookiecutter wrote:I got the parts together to build myself a 2.5 gallon wet tumbler JUST before we put our house on the market ... so my inaugural run will have to wait until I arrive up there in RI. Selling a house really cramps my style and is, generally, just a real PITA!! I'm hoping that my new tumbler will be a lot quieter than my vibratory walnut based system that I can hear on the second floor when it is running on the opposite side of the house in the basement :shock: We'll see how it works.

CC


It's wicked quite.

Oh since your going to be a RI'er you need to start liking coffee milk, not stopping at stop signs, and using words like "wicked" more often :D


OK ... great news on the wicked quiet tumbler ...

I got used to the plural of you being y'all, so "wicked" I'm certain I can do :D ... But it's gonna be tough to learn to not stop at stop signs (do y'all get to slow down, at least? Or do I need to learn to run them at full speed? :o ) And is this coffee milk some kind of twisted beverage where there is more milk than coffee? If so, I hope they come in 6-packs :D

CC
cookiecutter
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:00 am

Re: Wet Tumble Brass

Postby Cyril » Wed May 10, 2017 2:44 pm

cookiecutter wrote:I got used to the plural of you being y'all

Speaking of which, you'll have to break that habit and switch to "yous".

do y'all get to slow down, at least? Or do I need to learn to run them at full speed? :o

Depends on where it is, really.

But seriously I do stop properly...because another thing you'll have to get used to in RI is expensive auto insurance, whose price gets jacked even worse with even the most minor tickets, which you will get often unless you're willing to risk death when folks behind you get road rage and attack.

And is this coffee milk some kind of twisted beverage where there is more milk than coffee?

It's milk with Autocrat coffee syrup added. What is coffee syrup, you ask? It's exactly what it sounds like...a thick, viscous syrup made by boiling down coffee. It doesn't come in a six pack, but these days I think there is at least one brand selling it bottled.

There is a six pack of beer though: Narragansett Autocrat Coffee Milk Stout.

Do be sure to try NY System Hot Weiners, available at many local weiner joints, pizzerias, etc. They're pretty unique, delicious, and heartburn-inducing. (Despite their name, you won't find them in NY, just RI.)
User avatar
Cyril
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:00 am


Return to Reloading

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron