Defensive Handgun 1 - Foxboro MA - Jan 16th

Information about training in the use of firearms and in self defense. NRA certified instructors (necessary for a permit qualification) in the area can be found here.

Re: Defensive Handgun 1 - Foxboro MA - Jan 16th

Postby Shaw_Shot » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:52 pm

more mags, yes. i agree. i'll use my christmas dough considering the mags for my firearm are $50+ with shipping. i hope they'll let me use my iwb. i'm a left draw and finding a level 2 retention owb that i like is proving to be quite the challenge. i have a p250c in .40 and i really dig on the paddle holsters with trigger guard lock. finding those for my firearm in left draw ain't easy. by the way, merry christmas everybody.
don't let the name fool you. it does not imply accuracy by any means, only that i'm sure i shot a round.
Shaw_Shot

Postby n1bsbri » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:45 pm

I'd just go ahead and contact Tac Dynamics and ask. They seem like friendly folks, and the contact info is on their web page.
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Postby Shaw_Shot » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:19 am

n1bsbri wrote:I'd just go ahead and contact Tac Dynamics and ask. They seem like friendly folks, and the contact info is on their web page.

that'd be the plan. waiting til after christmas. just trying to get some insight from the members here who may have attended past events.
don't let the name fool you. it does not imply accuracy by any means, only that i'm sure i shot a round.
Shaw_Shot

Postby jcat » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:02 pm

Shaw_Shot wrote:more mags, yes. i agree. i'll use my christmas dough considering the mags for my firearm are $50+ with shipping. i hope they'll let me use my iwb. i'm a left draw and finding a level 2 retention owb that i like is proving to be quite the challenge. i have a p250c in .40 and i really dig on the paddle holsters with trigger guard lock. finding those for my firearm in left draw ain't easy. by the way, merry christmas everybody.

I've taken the course, and here's my advice.

Get as many mags as you can reasonably afford. I took the class with 3x 15rd mags, and it would have been nice to have even more than that, so you aren't spending so much time topping off mags. Expect to shoot about 350-400 rounds, bring 500 if feasible. The days leading up to the course, dry fire dry fire dry fire! It will help you immensely once you get to the course.

You can use IWB and may be a good idea if that's your primary carry method and you want to train that. "Holsters with no retention devices' really refers to the nylon one-size-fits-all uncle mike's kind of holsters. Even passive (read: tension screw/trigger guard friction) retention works. My holster was a bladetech OWB for my FNX that I got from Midway for $50 or so. Also, I highly recommend a belt mounted double mag carrier, and wear pants that you can throw a couple spare mags in. Additionally, GET A GOOD BELT! I highly recommend a 5 stitch wilderness tactical instructors belt. This is good advice even just for carry, but especially for the course. You don't want a crappy belt interfering with your drawing ability and making you uncomfortable.

Bring a can of CLP and a rag with you. Also bring a magazine speed loader if you have/want one. I recommend bringing shooting appropriate gloves (a la mechanix) in case your gun's texture is like mine and starts wearing a blister in your ring finger after a few hundred draw-and-shoots. Bring sunblock, sunglasses if you have them and lots of water. It's january, but you'll be out in the (hopefully) sun and moving a good bit, you'll need to stay hydrated.

If you don't already, get a pair of electronic ear muffs. I bought low-profile Caldwells from Midway USA for $30, and I have to say it's the single best investment I've made in the shooting hobby since I started.

If Ashaway is offering lunch, bring a $10 spot to pay the cook. I highly recommend eating there, the food we had during our course was amazing.

If I think of anything else in the 'woulda shoulda coulda' realm, I'll post it up here.
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Postby demjones » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:28 pm

What jcat said, including +1 on the speed loader.
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits." - Plutarch
demjones

Postby Shaw_Shot » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:21 pm

i really do appreciate all the advice and input.

sent them an email yesterday and i'm waiting to hear back. site says 'Please NO shoulder holsters or holsters without any retention devices'. just want to know is my iwb allowed and if so does the fact that it has no retention disqualify it? don't like any retention on my iwb. but if so i'd happily find something to satisfy their requirements so i can attend the training. is anyone else from here attending?
Last edited by Shaw_Shot on Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shaw_Shot

Postby jcat » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:39 pm

Shaw_Shot wrote:i really do appreciate all the advice and input.

sent them an email yesterday and i'm waiting to hear back. site says 'Please NO shoulder holsters or holsters without any retention devices'. just want to know is my iwb allowed and if so does the fact that it has no retention(falco it433/4) disqualify it. don't like any retention on my iwb. but if so i'd happily find something to satisfy their requirements so i can attend the training. is anyone else from here attending?

I'd never heard of that holster before, but no I do not believe that holster is allowed. That has no retention at all (active nor passive) so it would not be a good idea. Best option for IWB particularly since you said you don't like retention, would be passive retention in regards to trigger guard friction. You feel just a little bit of resistance when the pistol is going into the holster, and then a bit of a 'click' as it slips into the mold. There is no active retention, so it isn't like a serpa with the button (which I strongly advise against using) or something with a thumb break strap. Those would be overkill, IMO.

If you need a good, affordable IWB hybrid holster with passive retention (trigger guard friction) check out Ozark Holster Co. If you want to run an OWB with passive retention, check out some of bladetech's offerings, best prices I've found are usually MidwayUSA. Luckily the P250 is ubiquitous enough in terms of holster options that it shouldn't be a big deal to find what you're looking for. You should not have to spend more than $50-75 for a really good holster for that gun.
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Postby newportri » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:12 pm

If you plan on carrying with the holster. it should have retention. If you holster the gun and hold it upside down, the gun should not fall out.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby Shaw_Shot » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:06 am

as far as retention is concerned with iwb all i have to say is that to get a hold of my firearm, with out me knowing, with no retention, you'd first have to lift my left arm, untuck my shirt and then proceed to access my firearm, again, with out me noticing. good luck with that. i really have trained extensively with handling someone who tries to access my firearm unwarranted. owb is another story. i do prefer at least a level 2 retention with my owb. i have since learned that sig pro 2022 from blackhawk will fit my p250c. it is already ordered. as for my iwb, i, personally, prefer no retention. to each his own. the fit is snug and without retention i can turn it upside down with out it falling out. no adjustments needed.

once again, i really do appreciate all the input and info from you all. i thank you. still waiting to hear back from tac dynamics. just in case i ordered an iwb with retention screw from cross breed and my owb level 2 is on the way. all bases covered.
Last edited by Shaw_Shot on Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shaw_Shot

Postby SirSqueeboo » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:25 am

Shaw, you're missing the point of the retention. this (primarily) isn't police style retention to keep a bad guy from grabbing your gun, it's to keep you in possession of the gun if you're running, diving for cover, and generally making movements other than walking in a mall.

When you're running through a parking lot and trip on something, do you trust "well it's shoved in there pretty good" when the gunfire starts?

In a gunfight, "good enough" gets you killed.
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

PreviousNext

Return to Training