Defensive Handgun 1 - Foxboro MA - Jan 16th

Information about training in the use of firearms and in self defense. NRA certified instructors (necessary for a permit qualification) in the area can be found here.

Re: Defensive Handgun 1 - Foxboro MA - Jan 16th to

Postby newportri » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:30 am

The retention is not only to prevent someone fromtaking your firearm, but from you accidently loosing the firearm during a 8-10 hour day of wearing it getting into and out of your car.
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Re: Defensive Handgun 1 - Foxboro MA - Jan 16th

Postby Shaw_Shot » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:28 pm

SirSqueeboo wrote:Shaw, you're missing the point of the retention. this (primarily) isn't police style retention to keep a bad guy from grabbing your gun, it's to keep you in possession of the gun if you're running, diving for cover, and generally making movements other than walking in a mall.

When you're running through a parking lot and trip on something, do you trust "well it's shoved in there pretty good" when the gunfire starts?

In a gunfight, "good enough" gets you killed.

no. not missing the point of retention. i fully understand retention. i had my iwb handmade with tight tolerances so it holds tight but ultimately with no actual retention. only friction. you missed my point where i said words like 'i prefer' and 'to each his own'. i have a style i prefer and you've made it known you don't agree with said style. that's ok, to each his own, but don't assume/insinuate that i am missing anything. please and thank you.
don't let the name fool you. it does not imply accuracy by any means, only that i'm sure i shot a round.
Shaw_Shot

Postby Shaw_Shot » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:33 pm

newportri wrote:The retention is not only to prevent someone fromtaking[sic] your firearm, but from you accidently[sic] loosing the firearm during a 8-10 hour day of wearing it getting into and out of your car.

never had any such issue. if you accidentally lose your firearm at any point you should lose your rights to firearms. i know how it feels when it is positioned righteously and i know instantly when it is not and i then immediately rectify the situation. for 9 years i lived in CO and always carried in some fashion. usually owb. with owb the firearm is not against your body so retention is a must for me. iwb the firearm is against my body and i can feel every movement it makes throughout the day and every movement is registered in my mind. after carrying a handgun on your hip, iwb or owb, for over a decade you learn these things. you feel these things. it becomes second nature. so i respectfully disagree that retention for iwb is a must. thanks everybody for sharing your thoughts. if you haven't been carrying a firearm on your hip for the past 11 years you wouldn't understand my position.
don't let the name fool you. it does not imply accuracy by any means, only that i'm sure i shot a round.
Shaw_Shot

Postby jcat » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:25 pm

Shaw_Shot wrote:
newportri wrote:The retention is not only to prevent someone fromtaking[sic] your firearm, but from you accidently[sic] loosing the firearm during a 8-10 hour day of wearing it getting into and out of your car.

never had any such issue. if you accidentally lose your firearm at any point you should lose your rights to firearms. i know how it feels when it is positioned righteously and i know instantly when it is not and i then immediately rectify the situation. for 9 years i lived in CO and always carried in some fashion. usually owb. with owb the firearm is not against your body so retention is a must for me. iwb the firearm is against my body and i can feel every movement it makes throughout the day and every movement is registered in my mind. after carrying a handgun on your hip, iwb or owb, for over a decade you learn these things. you feel these things. it becomes second nature. so i respectfully disagree that retention for iwb is a must. thanks everybody for sharing your thoughts. if you haven't been carrying a firearm on your hip for the past 11 years you wouldn't understand my position.

Your whole position on this is pretty silly. Particularly the part about your universal nylon holster being handmade for a friction fit and providing plenty of 'friction'.

Doing something for a long time doesn't mean you've been doing it right, nor that best practices have not evolved in 10 years time.
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Postby SirSqueeboo » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:13 am

does anyone else feel like this is a Tk thread?
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Postby Shaw_Shot » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:07 am

what works for you works for you. what works for me works for me. i do not appreciate being told what works for me is wrong or silly. thanks for that. what field is your expertise in again? but alas, you are entitled to your opinion as am i. my 'universal' holster is hand made to my specs. i sent my desired measurements, all a little under actual measurements, to them and the holster was made to my specs for a tight fit. and i love the breathable, moisture wicking nylon. it works for me. that is all i need to know. what started out as me asking a simple question has turned into a schooling of opinions. opinions! wow. there aren't all that many absolutes in firearms. every training i have attended with experts goes something like this 'here is what we do. we'll point you in the right direction with basics and fundamentals but you ultimately have to find what works for you and build on the foundation we have given you.' thanks for clearing up why this here forum has about 6 regular posters. pretty weak. the way you 'experts' push your opinion as absolute right is rather alienating. so long.
Shaw_Shot

Postby SirSqueeboo » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:33 am

Shaw, we're not trying to offend you, just trying to give you a different perspective. Take what we think, if parts of it make sense, then integrate it into your TTP. If you feel none of our advice works for you, then discard it.
NRA Benefactor Member
SAF Life Member
Official Texas Recruiter

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
SirSqueeboo

Postby mossberg500 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:42 pm

Wow! What a hyjack!
mossberg500

Postby Blast54 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:45 pm

My son and I are signed up for Hopkinton class. I would have preferred to wait for some warmer weather but he is young and anxious. Probably bringing the Glock 19, Comp-tac paddle holster and see what I can scrape up for extra mags... should be fun!

Bill
Blast54

Postby TacDynamics » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:54 pm

Hey guys sorry I didn't have a chance to respond to this thread earlier.

There is a ton of great discussion going on here, I'm going to try and address a few things.

1. Holsters

The only type we don't allow is shoulder holsters and thats 100% due to safety. We also prefer not to have people using ankle holsters but will accommodate anyone that really wants to.

Retention for holsters (Thumb breaks, hoods, etc) - My personal feeling on it is that they are good for Law Enforcement, Military, Security etc. Individuals in these fields have to worry about people grabbing for their guns. For carry of a concealed firearm I don't like or recommend retention. If its concealed it should only be seen when its about to be used. You shouldn't have to worry about someone grabbing for it. Having retention devices on a concealed holsters is an additional fine motor skill obstacle to overcome under stress and its not necessary.

We 100% believe in the saying of "Train as you fight" and strongly encourage people to practice what we show them in class using their carry holsters such as inside the waistband rigs. However during the class we prefer to have people use outside the waistband holsters. The reason for this is that it allows you to most effectively learn and build the skills we are teaching in the class. We have plenty of loaner outside the waistband holsters that you can use for free during the class so you don't have to go out a buy one. If you really want to use an IWB holster for the class then that is fine as well. Either way we do cover drawing from an IWB holster and getting concealment garments out of the way.

2. Magazines

We like it when people have at least 3 magazines for this class. It keeps up the pace on the firing line. If you only have 1 or 2 magazines for the gun you will be running that is fine as well though. We can always accommodate and make due with everyones equipment. We don't want people to go out and buy extra expensive magazines just for this class. We also have a lot of extra mags that we can loan to you for free as well. Unfortunately we don't have and Sig 250 mags right now.

I hope this info helps and if you guys have any other questions please let me know. Also feel free to reach out to me anytime on my phone or e-mail. James Wise - 781-492-7446 James@tacdynamics.com
TacDynamics

PreviousNext

Return to Training