reputable training outfits.

Information about training in the use of firearms and in self defense. NRA certified instructors (necessary for a permit qualification) in the area can be found here.

reputable training outfits.

Postby choppah » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:36 pm

do you know of any? i have seen from the northeast shooters forum that there are many with wicked cool names and such but i want to pay for substance. no malarkey. maybe i am wrong but some of them sound like tactically tacticool operators operating operationally in a tactical fashion. you catch my drift? if any of you have any experience please throw your 2cents in. i'm looking to cycle thru some pistol I, II and III type stuff and then to get NRA certified so as to increase my chances when i apply for ccw in johnston. and why do NRA certs go to 25 yrds? most conflicts occur within 5 to 10 yrds. any ideas on that? anyhow, any input would be fabulistic.
choppah

Re: reputable training outfits.

Postby newportri » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:57 pm

I have taken a class with Sig Sauer in Exeter, NH, and I can definitely recommend them. They train clients of all skill levels all over the world and they have some very good instructors.
These guys also offer training and I know several other RIFOLers that can recommend them;
http://www.rifol.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2197&hilit=tactical
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Postby demjones » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:14 am

I've done a couple Tactical Dynamics courses. Excellent. That said, they go to Sig to sharpen up their training.
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits." - Plutarch
demjones

Postby MM2(SS) » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:28 am

Choppah,

What type of training are you looking for? I am an NRA Instructor certified in Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, and Personal Protection Outside the Home. Chances are any gunfight is going to be generally from 7 yds. and closer but, shooting from 25 yards will tell a lot about how well you can shoot. Any misalignment of sights for instance will be very visible from 25 yds.

The certification I think you are talking about is R.I.G.L. 11-47-15 Proof of ability required for license or permit. – No person shall be issued a license or permit to carry a pistol or revolver concealed upon his or her person until he or she has presented certification as prescribed in § 11-47-16 that he or she has qualified with a pistol or revolver of a caliber equal to or larger than the one he or she intends to carry, that qualification to consist of firing a score of one hundred ninety-five (195) or better out of a possible score of three hundred (300) with thirty (30) consecutive rounds at a distance of twenty-five (25) yards on the army "L" target, firing "slow" fire. The "slow" fire course shall allow ten (10) minutes for the firing of each of three (3) ten (10) shot strings.
An armed society is a polite society!
MM2(SS)

Postby newportri » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:08 pm

I think his goal is to become an NRA instructor (not so he can pass the shooting test) since he feels that will make it easier to get a CCW, is that right? This might be the case for a discretionary AG permit, but it is not necessary for a town permit. The RI courts have already said being a gun collector is a proper reason and few can argue self defense is a proper reason (hopefully the RI courts will agree with the latter as well).
I encourage you to take classes to enhance your shooting skills, but you should not have to take them to exercise a right. These classes you mention could easily cost you over $1000 (including the class, ammo, driving, etc.)
newportri

Postby newportri » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:32 pm

Tiverton Rod and Gun Club also have similar classes and I think they are open to the public, but club members probably gets preference. Spartan is doing the actual classes.
http://tivertongunclub.com/downloads/Education/2015EducationEvents.pdf
newportri

Postby demjones » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:25 pm

I did Spartan's Handgun I (pre-req for any other Spartan course offered @ TRGC). It was very good but kind of basic...really intended to establish a basic level of competence. Didn't go as far as Tac Dynamics DH1 class.

TRGC has put together a remarkable training schedule. One of Spartan's instructors is an NRA TC, so they're offering a Shotgun Instructor class at the end of April. I was already enrolled in a Rifle Instructor class elsewhere, otherwise I'd have jumped at it.
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits." - Plutarch
demjones

Postby newportri » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:35 pm

It's too bad it is a pre requisite for all other classes, especially if you say it is kinda basic.. You should be able to get some kind of waiver I would think. For example, if you are already a NRA pistol instructor you shouldn't have to take it...
newportri

Postby demjones » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:30 pm

You can challenge the course. NRA Instructor might do it. I considered doing so with my Tac Dynamics certificate, but wanted to get a feel for them. You should have no problem with a certificate from Sig.
demjones

Postby choppah » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:07 am

alright. lots to respond to, which is what i was hoping for. i'll dish in chronological order.

1st @ newport- sig is where it is at. i've owned many sig firearms(just picked up p320 and it is sweet) and am looking forward to attending some of their trainings. big bucks though so i have an extra savings set up just for them. classes, lodging, ammo, ect.......oh mama does it add up fast. i am more so looking for some closer-to-home type stuff that's just a bit cheaper. while not on a budget by any means, a local 1 or 2 day class will cost as much as a half day with sig. i'd imagine it is entirely worth it but i'll torch that bridge by summers end. so i'm looking to stay local for now. and to your second reply, instructor is something i'd love to achieve but for now i'm just looking to get certified @ 25yds for ccw purposes. while not required i figure some good training with good outfits with certs to prove it will only increase my chances for a ccw and really drive home the firearm competency point. i'm in johnston mind you. the chief is.......lets just say meh with a shoulder shrug. self preservation should be enough but it rarely is. i'll look into tac dynamics. thanks for the heads up. i mean that. from what i've read of past posts of yours you seem extremely knowledgeable and righteous so i shall heed your advise.

2nd @ MM2(SS)- you instructor. me pupil. lets connect. please PM me. i think a meet and greet could be in order. thanks for chiming in.

3rd @ demjones- if spartan's pistol 1 is a basic as you say i'd have a hard time dropping $175 for the class. tac dynamics is a little cheaper and apparently a bit more involved. if there is a way to bypass pistol 1 then i'm in. their bio's on the website fit the bill. thanks for pointing them out.

i do appreciate you all taking time to respond. you've at least got me pointed in a direction to start exploring. thank you.
choppah

Next

Return to Training