Pistol 1 class (Spartan International)

Information about training in the use of firearms and in self defense. NRA certified instructors (necessary for a permit qualification) in the area can be found here.

Pistol 1 class (Spartan International)

Postby newportri » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:56 am

Me and Dirk are taking the Pistol 1 class on October 17th and I figured I'd post here in case there are others who are interested as well.
http://www.spartaninternationalconsultinggroup.com/#!schedule/c21nl
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Re: Pistol 1 class (Spartan International)

Postby demjones » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:24 am

Have fun! I took it several months back. You'll find it very basic, but it the pre-req for all other Spartan classes.
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits." - Plutarch
demjones

Postby newportri » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:52 pm

I am looking forward to taking their more advanced classes, but since this class is a pre-requisite for all their other classes I will have to take it. I haven't been shooting much lately anyway, so it will probably be good to start with a class like this anyway.
demjones, have you taken any of their other classes?
newportri

Postby demjones » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:15 pm

I took their defensive shotgun class. It was fantastic! I think I put about 150 12GA 00 buckshot and slug rounds downrange, and gain a ton of confidence in my ability to handle a shotgun under stress. I highly recommend it.

I've been splitting my time between Spartan & Tactical Dynamics. Both are really good.

My next training foray will likely be something different. I'm looking into EMT training or something like Dark Angel's trauma training. Lots-o-bucks!
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits." - Plutarch
demjones

Postby newportri » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:29 pm

I'd like to try TD as well, but I prefer Saturday classes in RI.
newportri

Postby demjones » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:30 am

Can't blame you. I've done a couple Fridays in Hopkinton.
demjones

Postby jdp29 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:49 am

TD classes are excellent. I am doing my second Carbine class with them end of Oct. I highly recommend them.
jdp29

Postby Blast54 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:22 pm

The last TD class at Hopkinton sucked. This was a concealed carry supposed to be limited to 8 shooters. "hurry up and sign up, registration closes at midnight tonight" deal.
They oversold the class to 15 people, two who had never held a gun before ( so that took away another instructor) and it was shoulder to shoulder at some of the drills with brass hitting you in the face and going behind your shooting glasses.

Also when we arrived at the range the weeds/grass was over two foot tall and loaded with ticks. Rob might have picked up a couple hundred extra bucks by overselling and selling to anyone interested without experience, but in the long run it will cost him because I doubt I will take another class with him and this was my son and my third.

I really like the outfit but they need to stick to some type of order in their training. If you are supposed to take pistol 1,2,3 in that order then stick to it. I don't want to be shooting next to someone that has never held a gun before nevermind trying to draw it out of a holster with a PACT timer in their ear.
Blast54

Postby newportri » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:42 am

That's a shame their class had almost twice as many students as there were supposed to be. I think they should have refunded the money they made from the extra students..
newportri

Postby Tacdyn1 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:37 am

Re: Blast54's review of the Sept 11 Concealed Carry 1 Class

* I had to register a new username so yes this is a "first post" however this IS Rob from Tactical Dynamics.

We apologize (again) if your experience was not 100% most enjoyable during that class but if I could I would like to address a few of your points:

* range conditions: these were out of our control in regards to the grass being tall. I have addressed that with the club and the ball was dropped on their end there... For the first time in over three years.

*class size: we set the limit at ten people. We had extra people fail to follow instructions on the Facebook event page and not register on our site, instead just they just showed up on the day of. We posted on that event several times asking for the registration.

Also keep in mind that less than a week prior to this class we were going to cancel it for lack of enrollment. We advertised it and apparently there was a bit of a demand. We have also overbooked classes in the past to have folks blow us off and no call/no show. Damned if you do I suppose... But that's business.

* proximity to other shooters: this class was conducted in a safe manner as all other classes we run are. Sometimes brass will hit you. I made sure that any drills that were conducted were done so with safety being the number one priority as it always is.

* pre-requisites: we have phased pre-reqs out with the exception of being able to legally possess and safely operate a firearm. We place more supervision on newer shooters but if the basics of firearms safety are applied, you will not have issues.

*New shooters: was there a new shooter in that class? Yes. Did she handle herself safely in accordance to firearms safety rules? Yes. Did she shoot better than some of the other students in the class? Yes.

She worked within the limitations of her skill set and challenged herself. Thus, learning occurred.

Either way, as a token of appreciation for members of the RIFOL who have attended our classes over the past three plus years, I will offer a 20% discount on their next class. Use the code RIFOL20 on checkout.

We appreciate the feedback and will adjust accordingly... As we stated at the end of the class.

Thanks and be safe,

Rob
Tacdyn1

Next

Return to Training