Tactical Dynamics upcoming courses - DH1 3/24, DH2 5/19

Information about training in the use of firearms and in self defense. NRA certified instructors (necessary for a permit qualification) in the area can be found here.

Tactical Dynamics upcoming courses - DH1 3/24, DH2 5/19

Postby jcat » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:58 pm

Anyone going to be heading down to Ashaway for one or both of these? I plan to take both. I've already been through DH1 once and it was an awesome class, but it's been a while since I've done serious shooting so I figured it'd be a good refresher before moving onto DH2 in May.

There's a DH2 in Ashaway before the DH1 on 3/24 but I personally will not be attending that one because I feel like I could use a refresher.
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Re: Tactical Dynamics upcoming courses - DH1 3/24, DH2 5/19

Postby demjones » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:23 pm

I'm inclined to join you...did the DH1 with you before. I haven't done anything since the low-light course (well worth it).

The issue for me will be schedule.
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits." - Plutarch
demjones

Postby jcat » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:26 pm

demjones wrote:I'm inclined to join you...did the DH1 with you before. I haven't done anything since the low-light course (well worth it).

The issue for me will be schedule.

Yeah, thankfully I have a significant amount of PTO this year due to carry-over, so I'll be able to get paid to go and shoot :D

Of course I remember, that was a good class and we got awesome weather that day. Believe Rotty37 was there with us also.
G19 Gen 4 // G34 MOS // Glock 21 Gen 4 // Browning BPS Trap // BCM/Black Rain RECCE clone
jcat

Postby Blast54 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:52 am

My son Bryan and I are planning on signing up on 2/10 for DH2
Just want to get in touch with Rob and see how many are signed up first.
Last time I went they had like 15 people on the line and range was in terrible shape on top of that.
Blast54

Postby jcat » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:55 am

Blast54 wrote:My son Bryan and I are planning on signing up on 2/10 for DH2
Just want to get in touch with Rob and see how many are signed up first.
Last time I went they had like 15 people on the line and range was in terrible shape on top of that.

DH2 typically gets less of a turnout than DH1 I think. And I didn't want to bother with potential nasty weather/range conditions so i figured the 3/24 date is probably mostly safe.
jcat

Postby cycle_401 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:43 pm

Question about DH1. I have never taken any "action" classes meaning I've taken several range classes with live fire but static, standing and shooting. Is the DH1 an appropriate entry level class for someone to begin developing new skills?

thank in advance.
cycle_401

Postby demjones » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:15 pm

cycle_401 wrote:Question about DH1. I have never taken any "action" classes meaning I've taken several range classes with live fire but static, standing and shooting. Is the DH1 an appropriate entry level class for someone to begin developing new skills?

thank in advance.

Absolutely. What's great is that the instructors soon get a feel for the students' proficiency level and tailor instruction to that. The DH1 I took had some experienced folks and some fast learners, so we moved fairly quickly. You start out with lots of static shooting & drawing from the holster. One of the students from my (first) DH1 class was actually taking it for the 7th or 8th time, because he learned something new every time in addition to the benefits of rigorous practice. I emerged much more confident in my abilities.
"The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations, and benefits." - Plutarch
demjones

Postby Dante231 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:43 pm

Anyone have a link to the registration page?

Thanks!
Dante231

Postby cycle_401 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:14 pm

Dante231 wrote:Anyone have a link to the registration page?

Thanks!

http://www.tacdynamics.com/event/defens ... kinton-ri/
cycle_401

Postby jcat » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:32 pm

demjones wrote:
cycle_401 wrote:Question about DH1. I have never taken any "action" classes meaning I've taken several range classes with live fire but static, standing and shooting. Is the DH1 an appropriate entry level class for someone to begin developing new skills?

thank in advance.

Absolutely. What's great is that the instructors soon get a feel for the students' proficiency level and tailor instruction to that. The DH1 I took had some experienced folks and some fast learners, so we moved fairly quickly. You start out with lots of static shooting & drawing from the holster. One of the students from my (first) DH1 class was actually taking it for the 7th or 8th time, because he learned something new every time in addition to the benefits of rigorous practice. I emerged much more confident in my abilities.

To echo this, it really is a great learning environment. There's not really any run-n-gun in DH1, but I believe there is in DH2. DH1 does have you drawing and firing, facing away from the target and then turning/drawing/firing, quick reloads/tac reloads that kind of stuff.

The biggest piece of advice I can give is for anyone that isn't familiar with these types of courses or does not carry on a regular basis, be EXTREMELY conscious of your muzzle and trigger finger discipline, most of the class you're on the line not much further than an arms length from the other guys, so it's very important to bring that to top of mind prior to taking the course.

All in all it's an excellent experience and I highly recommend it. It'll be my second time going through DH1 and then I'll be following it this time with DH2 which I've never taken before.
jcat

Next

Return to Training