New format of Basic Pistol

Post information about training and other sponsoring organizations here.

New format of Basic Pistol

Postby newportri » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:10 am

I hear there is a new format of the course where the first part is online. Has anyone looked into what the big differences are? It says the course now costs $60, but I wasn't sure what that was for. Is that the cost for the instructor material, or the cost for the students for the first and/or second phase? Anyone know the details and the reason for changing format (nra makes more money)?
....the right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Check out our website here:
http://www.rifol.org/
newportri

Re: New format of Basic Pistol

Postby MM2(SS) » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:24 pm

From what I understand about it the classroom portion and test will all be done online (phase 1). After the online portion is completed they will get in touch with an instructor for the range portion (Phase 2) which I believe is going to take about 5 hours. There are numerous objectives that the student will have to complete on the range, and there are around 34 places where the instructor and I believe the student will have to sign. After the phase 2 portion is completed the instructor will print and sign the certificate. The new version of the training went live on the 17th. There was a bulletin that went out with a login for instructors to review the entire online portion, and the instructor book for the Phase 2 portion can be downloaded or printed on the instructor site. The fee for the instructor led portion will be like with the old program where you name your own price. I am going to have my wife take the phase 1 and then I am going to take her through the Phase 2 portion to see how it goes.

The fee for Phase 1 is $60, and once registered the student will have access to the course for 90 days. They must score 90% on the test & they will get 2 additional chances if they fail the first time.

The URL for the online portion is https://onlinetraining.nra.org/online-courses/nra-basics-of-pistol-shooting-course/
An armed society is a polite society!
MM2(SS)

Postby newportri » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:19 pm

That's kind of the impression that I got, but I wasn't sure. I am an instructor, but I never thought the course so I am not sure how this will affect instructors.
How much did the course material for the "old" course cost? I don't think it was nearly as much as $60, right? So now the student has to pay $60 plus the instructor lead portion. Today you can take the course for around $100 most places I think, so either the instructor will make less money or the student will pay more, or both. Do the instructor still have to buy course material for their part?
newportri

Postby MM2(SS) » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:37 pm

The student packet is $11.00 plus shipping (haven't been in stock for about 2 months) (not used for the new course). The online portion is $60.00 & the instructor led portion will be whatever a particular instructor wants to charge. My class would run about $100 per student. I haven't figured it out yet but it will probably be about the same in the new course. The live fire portion is a lot different & there will be more shooting so more spent on ammo, targets, etc. I will know a little better when I do the test run with the wife. It is probably going to wind up costing the student an extra $60 over what it does now, they will not have the book to reference like they do now, & it will add about 3 to 4 hours onto the total time commitment. 7 hours for online portion & about 5 for the range exercises.
An armed society is a polite society!
MM2(SS)

Postby newportri » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:29 pm

Looks like the new format will probably be better and hopefully more hands on experience and more live fire since I think that was minimal in the old format at least when I took the Basic Pistol years ago. It also looks like the NRA will be making more money as well.. Will there still be a student package? There will also be more expenses for the instructor with more ammo. Previously they encouraged .22lr, is that still the same or do they want you to teach with larger caliber? I agree that .22lr is great to start with, but most people don't take basic pistol to shoot a .22lr...
newportri

Return to Training, Gun Rights, & Other Organizations