LEAVING YOUR GUN IN THE CAR IN RI ?

Post questions about RI law and obtaining a carry permit here.

LEAVING YOUR GUN IN THE CAR IN RI ?

Postby YKCOR1313 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:28 am

I was just at the range in MA and we were discussing how to safely lock up your gun in the car. He told me in MA the locked box or compartment had to be attached in some way to the car so that the bad guy doesn't walk away with the locked box. He asked me if I knew the rules for car storage in RI and I never really thought about because I always keep it with me. I know you can't take it in the Post Office. Federal building and courthouses are out, but I never go in these places and if I ever had to I'd leave the gun at home. Does anyone know if someone with a RI carry permit can legally leave a gun in a secured compartment or locked box that is attached to the car? My buddy has a big truck with a huge center console and he wants to weld a small gun safe in the bottom of the console just in case he has to go somewhere and he doesn't want to take the gun inside?
Last edited by YKCOR1313 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
YKCOR1313

Re: LEAVING YOUR GUN IN THE CAR IN RI ?

Postby shovel1966 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:05 pm

This particular thread started over one month ago with a question and not one answer has been provided. I looked through all the RI firearm policies and laws that are published in the AG permit application packagae and came up with nothing. I did not post the original question but has been something I am interested in.
shovel1966

Postby n1bsbri » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:04 pm

Without doing any great amount of research, I don't believe there are any specific laws regarding securing the firearm in the vehicle. The closest thing I can see is § 11-47-60.1 Safe storage section (c) (2) The firearm is kept in a locked container or in a location which a reasonable person would believe to be secured;

Prudence would indicate that the gun should be reasonably secured. A locked box which is secured to the vehicle would likely pass this test.

I use a product called "Console Vault" which is installed in the center console of my car. It cannot be easily removed without disassembling the console, and removing bolts from the interior of the safe. This is for handguns only, obviously. I don't leave long guns in my car.

http://www.consolevault.com
“What New England is, is a state of mind, a place where dry humor and perpetual disappointment blend to produce an ironic pessimism that folks from away find most perplexing”― Willem Lange
n1bsbri

Postby YKCOR1313 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:19 am

I've been looking for a quality console vault and I'd like to have it installed by a body shop so that a thief would have to rip the car apart to steal it. A good thief can take anything, but I'm sure they don't want to spend an hour to take my vault. I would only leave my firearm in the vault in an extreme situation where I was banned from taking it with me. I do my best to avoid all "GUN FREE KILLING ZONES" where only the bad guys have guns because they won't obey any laws. I know where I can't carry and I just don't go in those places, but someday I might have to go to the post office, or court house and then I'd have to leave it at home or in the vault. I've asked a few police officers and none were sure if I could store it in the car, but they advised against doing so. I think I'd be to worried to even leave it in a secure car vault, so I'll just keep it with me and avoid all the commie gun free killing zones to the bad guys. I was surprised that it's legal to store a firearm in MA and they at least state so in their law for car storage.
YKCOR1313

Postby Uncle Duke » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:12 pm

I know this is an old thread, but this is an issue on the application for the Providence CHL application that you have to address in your letter of justification. I too have a console box and a very loud car alarm if anyone tries to enter my car when the alarm system is armed. The console box is also alarmed as well. I think I've done a pretty diligent search of state and local laws in Rhode Island and have yet to find any laws or regulations that require your firearm to be locked in a separate container (other than your glove box, trunk, or center console.
Certified NRA Range Safety Officer, Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, and Personal Protection Instructor. Certified MA Basic Pistol/LEOSA, MD, and UT Concealed Handgun Instructor
Uncle Duke

Postby JHawk » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:48 pm

What about while you're driving around? Can we use one of those cup holder"holsters"? It seems like we can
JHawk

Return to Legal Questions / Carry Permits